Going for a little swim at Jomtien Beach? Read this

Anything and everything about Thailand
SP55

Re: Going for a little swim at Jomtien Beach? Read this

Post by SP55 »

If I remember thai officials correctly, what makes people come to Pattaya is "nature" and "world class sport events". I don't believe the nature part for reasons as mentioned in this thread, so I guess the attraction is in the golf courses or perhaps the annual Bed race in beach road!
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

A little perspective, the area by the restaurant in the picture is in Na Jomtien which is about 6 kilometers from the gay beach. From my condo above the beach, I haven't witnessed any unusual discharges or visual changes to the water quality. With that said, we know Pattaya and Jomtien beaches are not going to win awards for being the cleanest beaches.
Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

Rereading some of the older posts in this thread I see reference to the "crystal-clear" waters of Koh Larn. Is that still the case? I wouldn't really expect crystal clarity, but is the water there really still significantly better than Jomtien? When I first went to Thailand Jomtien beach was touted as a nearly-pristine alternative to Pattaya beach. That probably wasn't true even then, but I did go in the water at Jomtien with no ill effects or unpleasant surprises. I wouldn't do that now, but I wonder if Koh Larn is still a pleasant place to swim.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

It’s not only Jomtien where bathing is unpleasant. This is a fairly recent headline about beaches in Phuket -
Island tourists in Thailand not pleased with beach cleanliness, water quality: SURVEY

The uncleanliness and poor water quality on Phuket’s beaches are leaving tourists with a bad impression of the island, according to results of a survey conducted by Prince of Songkla University (PSU) revealed at their Phuket Campus last week.

Researchers collected feedback from 1,624 participants on Phuket’s beaches including tourists, village headmen, students, and private business owners in the area. The data was collected between Oct. of 2016 and Sept of 2017,” said Dr. Chantinee Boonchai, who led the public announcement.
There is not much more in the article other than the respondents wanted the beaches cleaned of trash.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/island ... ty-survey/

Anyone going to the south and looking for great beaches should consider Khao Lak, about 100 kms north of Phuket. I spent a week there four years ago. Great beaches as far as the eye can see with very few tourists. But everything is very spread out and there is no nightlife. So take your own company!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:a fairly recent headline about beaches in Phuket
Along with the water pollution, I consider the absurd over-regulation of the beaches in Phuket its own form of pollution.

In Pattaya, Up2u may be right about the location of the sewage spill, but for me 6km is much too close and Koh Larn is also much too close. Water can be crystal clear, but still dangerously polluted.

I hope I'm wrong, but as for what will be done to effectively clean up and prevent further water pollution, I'm expecting the usual empty promises with little or nothing actually being done.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Uproar over Pattaya Beach Water Waste Pollution

May 14, 2018

The Pollution Control Department is preparing to inspect the wastewater being released by hotels and buildings in Pattaya after netizens cried foul over photos shared online showing visibly polluted water being released at Pattaya beach.

Pollution Control Department director-general Sunee Piyapanpong said the department will send officials to check hotels, condominiums, markets and other buildings that from this month until July to make sure the wastewater they release adheres to environmental standards, especially regarding lipids. Those who violate pollution laws face a 2,000 baht daily fine until they clean up their act, she said. The photos were uploaded to the local Facebook Page “Pattaya Talk” on Friday and have drawn criticism from residents of the resort town.

The photos show the filthy water pouring out of a big drain into the sea. A foul smell was also reported by the poster.

Criticism has flared over the effectiveness of Pattaya’s wastewater treatment as this is not the first time such an incident has been reported.

Meanwhile, there was no water coming out of the drain when reporters surveyed the site on Friday, which is behind a pumping station in South Pattaya, at the entrance of Pattaya Walking Street.

But muddy sea water containing what appeared to be black residue was visible, and most tourists have been avoiding the area.

According to a source from Pattaya City’s administration, wastewater from houses and business operations is diverted to several pumping stations before being funnelled to a wastewater treatment facility in Soi Wat Nong Yai in Bang Lamung district. The treated water is then released into the sea.

The facility is capable of handling 65,000-80,000 cubic metres on a daily basis, but the fast growth of the city’s economy has resulted in the release of up to 100,000 cu m of wastewater a day, the source said.

Several pumping stations and related equipment, which have been used for decades, are in a deteriorated state, the source noted.

Following heavy rain, water has to be quickly pushed out of the drainage system to ward off flooding inland while rainwater also causes the water in the system to have higher turbidity and Biochemical Oxygen Demand, which affects the purity of the wastewater, according to the source.

The source conceded the images of black water flowing into the Pattaya sea have had an impact on tourism.

Work is underway to repair the drainage system while plans have been drawn up to construct a giant tunnel to drain rainwater out into the sea directly from Central Pattaya, the source said, adding that gha feasibility study of the issue is being conducted.

Last week, Pattaya City and Na Jomtien municipality agreed to allow the latter to funnel wastewater to be treated in Pattaya.

The deal concerns 7,500 cu m of wastewater which would be treated in Pattaya one day in every five-year period, or until the new wastewater treatment system in Na Jomtien is finished.

Story and photo: https://pattayaone.news/en/uproar-over- ... ter-waste/