Farang Pays 10 Million Baht to Marry Thai Boyfriend

Anything and everything about Thailand
a447

Re: Farang Pays 10 Million Baht to Marry Thai Boyfriend

Post by a447 »

I don't see what all the fuss is about, either.

The farang can obviously afford it. He can spend his money the way he wants.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Captain Kirk wrote:
Josan wrote:If the farang can afford it WHY NOT?
Yeah I go with this. It depends how much the farang guy has. Could be a drop in the ocean to him for all we know.
It also could be his life savings and he is just fucking stupid!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:It also could be his life savings and he is just fucking stupid!
I'm with Undaunted on this one. Obviously none of us are in a position to be passing judgment on the farang or telling him how to spend his money. I don't think that is in dispute, but in my opinion spending that much money on a dowry and expensive wedding, no matter how rich this man might be, if nothing else it is an extremely selfish thing to do.

I would have had great respect for this man if instead he gave the boy's family a substantial, but reasonable, amount of money and then donated the rest of that 10 million to a qualified charity or a Thai university or a Thai hospital - somewhere in legitimate need of so much money - and the donation(s) given in the boy's name.

One thing is for sure - for both the boy and his family, it was their lucky day.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Captain Kirk wrote:
Yeah I go with this.
I agree. If the farang has loads of cash and is happy to spend it this way, why the sanctimonious attitudes? I’m pretty sure he’s aware of what he’s getting into in the long term financially. Some buy flashy cars, others yachts, still more expensive homes in exotic locations. If marrying a Thai guy makes him happy, good on him! I have several friends married to Thai guys and who happily buy them cars, expensive overseas vacations and, in one case, an apartment. Those marriages have lasted between 12 and 20 years so far. To each his own!
Jun

Post by Jun »

Wealthy people tend to be more careful with their money, so I would say it's more likely Undaunted is right.

Perhaps he is another Bill Gates, bit I think that's less likely.
aussie

Post by aussie »

If he is not super rich the farang should keep to the low floors of his condo building in case he is tempted to fly if and when a divorce happens ;) If cash flow in the future is not a problem then good luck to them both.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Undaunted wrote:It also could be his life savings and he is just fucking stupid!
Pure speculation - the same as my post! The fact is none of us have any idea of the farang’s wealth and yet the majority assume he’s throwing a lot of cash down a very large drain.

Interesting that another article in that issue of the newspaper has the headline “Foreigners snapping up Bangkok luxury condos”. No poster has batted an eyelid at that!! And those condos are selling for millions of US$!
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Undaunted wrote:
Captain Kirk wrote:
Yeah I go with this. It depends how much the farang guy has. Could be a drop in the ocean to him for all we know.
It also could be his life savings and he is just fucking stupid!
Oh it could well be but I don't think there are that many folk around who would throw away that amount of money if that was all they had. My guess is that there is still plenty in the tank. My other guess, based solely on looking at that one picture is that the relationship will be over within three years.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

fountainhall wrote:Interesting that another article in that issue of the newspaper has the headline “Foreigners snapping up Bangkok luxury condos”. No poster has batted an eyelid at that!! And those condos are selling for millions of US$!
I have to do a double take every time I see billboards of these new condos along Sukhumvit, starting at "only 60MB".

10 Million may not be all that much. My BF's friend lives with a farang from Switzerland and he recently bought a house (in BF name) in the Bangkok, Lat Phrao area for 10 million. I was not all that impressed and was expecting more for 10M. It's off a maze of narrow sois and they are all lined up in a row with very little space between them. Room for one car. Three bedroom, three bath. I kept thinking is that all there is, is that all there is?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Captain Kirk wrote:I don't think there are that many folk around who would throw away that amount of money if that was all they had.
Don't be so sure about that. Over the years I've seen many more than one farang do precisely that and even promise more money to the boy that they couldn't possibly afford. Whenever I've seen that, which has been all too often, I figure they are probably trying to buy love - and I don't think anyone on this board needs me to tell them that never works.

If it's not harming one's own life, that's one thing, but I've seen farang give up virtually everything, even giving up their own medical insurance, in order to hand over even more cash to the boy. And I also don't think anyone here needs me to tell them that once the cash runs out, so does the boy - sometimes that very day.

I've seen it often enough that I'm rarely even surprised by it anymore. But some farang go to such extremes that sometimes I am surprised.

One of my favorite famous last words lines that I've heard far too many times over the years - "Not my boy. He would never do that." Yeah? Take a guess what some farang found out the hard way - WRONG!

You folks do what you want, but I still prefer the "Richard Burk Philosophy": If you want love in Thailand, rent it.