Let's talk about the weather

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Let's talk about the weather

Post by Gaybutton »

Rain. Lots of it. And it is covering most of northeastern Thailand through the south of Thailand. It has been going on for several days and is expected to continue at least over the next ten days.

Pattaya has experienced heavy afternoon thunderstorms over the past several days, but today - Saturday, April 28 - is a little different. Last night I woke up around 2:30am and it was already raining. It was a steady rain with relatively calm winds. Now it's 3:30pm and it hasn't stopped yet. This is the longest sustained rainfall that I can recall seeing in many years. Usually when we get rain in Pattaya it lasts for about 45 minutes to an hour. Then, about an hour later you wouldn't know it had rained at all. Not this time. I see no signs of it stopping, although the latest predictions say it will stop around 4:00pm. We'll see.

Fortunately for Pattaya, the rains have not been strong enough to cause any severe damage, major power outages, or major flooding problems, not yet anyway.
Undaunted

Re: Let's talk about the weather

Post by Undaunted »

Video of flooding in Pattaya 2017

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
bobsaigon3

Post by bobsaigon3 »

That YouTube clip was from last year

Video: Published on Feb 24, 2017

More BREAKING NEWS at http://pattayaone.news
aussie

Post by aussie »

Second road heading towards my condo at Pratumnak today :shock:
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

aussie wrote:Second road heading towards my condo at Pratumnak today
Remember what I said in an earlier post about how there was no major flooding? Looks like I was WRONG!
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

aussie wrote:Image

Second road heading towards my condo at Pratumnak today :shock:
Just a big puddle.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

For a while I thought the rains might be ending despite the predictions. Sunday in Pattaya there was no rain. Now, Monday morning, the rains began again at about 6:30am.

The last time there was this much rain, Noah built a boat . . .
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thailand's rainy season normally starts somewhere around mid May and lasts to October. You wouldn't know it this year. Ever since Pattaya's Songkran "Big Day", April 19, which was dry as a bone - beginning the very next day the rains came and they have yet to stop. Since April 20 I have counted a grand total of 4 completely rain-free days, including nights. Meanwhile we are now less than 2 weeks away from the "official" start of the rainy season.

Some of these torrential rains have caused flooding in Pattaya and Bangkok. I'm sure there has been flooding in other areas too, but to know about them, folks - it would be very helpful if some of you present in other areas of Thailand would keep us informed.

I suppose the positive aspect is at least we don't have to worry about a drought or running out of water this year.

The negative, in addition to damaging floods and impassible roads while the water is draining, is something else. Mosquitoes. There has been no substantial mosquito invasion yet, but with this much rain I'm expecting a mosquito invasion at some point. I hope I'm wrong. Dengue Fever and other diseases carried by mosquitoes are certainly a possibility to consider.

Meanwhile, every year there are promises about flood control and sufficient drainage to cope with and prevent flooding. Another year of unfulfilled promises.

Rainy season is back, and so are Pattaya’s floods

By Jetsada Homklin, Pattaya Mail

May 4, 2018

Songkran is over and the rainy season has returned. And the usual flooding problems have come back with it.

Water ran a meter deep on Sukhumvit Road near the Highway Department April 27 following a second day of tropical storms. Beach and Third roads, likewise, turned into rivers with 40-60 centimeters of storm runoff disabling traffic. Roaring rapids developed along the major East Pattaya roads.

Authorities deployed pumps in seven locations to help drain the water and, after two hours, the roads became passable again.

For those repeatedly hit with water damage, city hall’s promises of relief can’t be fulfilled soon enough.

Story and photos: http://www.pattayamail.com/featured/rai ... ods-208919