Airbus Unveils Sleeping Pods for Cargo Holds

fountainhall

Airbus Unveils Sleeping Pods for Cargo Holds

Post by fountainhall »

Airbus has announced it expects to have flat bed sleeping compartments in the cargo holds of long-haul A330 aircraft by 2020 as an extra option for economy passengers. The pods can either be in modules interchangeable with cargo units or fitted permanently. They will not be individual flat beds as found in most business and first class cabins. They will be more like hostel-type accommodation and present crew accommodation for long haul flights - based on the photos and videos provided by Airbus.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... cargo-hold
Jun

Re: Airbus Unveils Sleeping Pods for Cargo Holds

Post by Jun »

This is a great idea. Whether we actually get to use this is another question. I see several reasons why it's unlikely.

1 Extra cost, of the capex & the extra weight.
2 There are rules about the time required to evacuate planes. I don't see passenger doors in cargo holds.
3 If we can get a flat bed in economy for a modest increase in fare, it may hurt business class sales, as the number one advantage (in my eyes), is gone.

Whilst it's an idea I would really like to see, I'm so doubtful about it seeing the light of day, I had to check the article wasn't published on April 1st.
Gaybutton

Re: Airbus Unveils Sleeping Pods for Cargo Holds

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:There are rules about the time required to evacuate planes. I don't see passenger doors in cargo holds.
Maybe all you have to do is say, "Open the pod bay doors, Hal" . . .