US Education Secretary, Betsy DeVos on '60 Minutes'

Gaybutton

US Education Secretary, Betsy DeVos on '60 Minutes'

Post by Gaybutton »

Here is another fine example of Trump's high quality, eminently competent picks for cabinet positions.

Anyone remember the children's magazine, 'Children's Highlights,' featuring "Goofus and Gallant"? Guess which of the two best parallels to Trump and his cabinet choices.

Let's see - so far we have White House staff resigning in droves, several cabinet officials under investigation for their personal use of government and military aircraft for their luxury junket trips, and the following video demonstrates the competence of the Secretary of Education - who has no idea what is happening in the schools withing her own home state. Way to go!

Yes fans - Making America Great Again.

Gaybutton

Re: US Education Secretary, Betsy DeVos on '60 Minutes'

Post by Gaybutton »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but during Trump's campaign I seem to recall something about bringing in the best and most qualified people.

Betsy DeVos contributed a lot of money to Trump's campaign. Other than that, what qualifies her to be the person ultimately responsible for the quality of education on a national level in the USA? She has never been a teacher. She has never been a school administrator. She admits she hasn't even visited schools in trouble. She obviously wasn't even aware of the below par schools in her own home state. And so far her policies have been an utter failure.

Other than that, she's great.

I guess contributing large amounts of money in support of Trump is what it takes for someone who wouldn't even qualify to be hired as a teacher to be placed as Secretary of Education. Of course, Betsy DeVos is the best and most qualified person in the USA to hold this position.

With the Trump administration, I'm glad my methods of coping with frustration do not include pulling out my hair. If they did, I would have been totally bald long before now . . .
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Surely you provided the answer in your last post?

Bob

Post by Bob »

Being from Michigan, I've disliked Betsy DeVos long before Trump picked her for a cabinet post as a political payoff. As background, she's the wife of Richard DeVos (religious zealot and co-founder of the king of all pyramid schemes, Amway) and the sister of Erik Prince (founder of Blackwater USA, the largest private military contractor/army which has also had negative press in the past).

As Chairman of the Michigan Republic Party, she was known as Governor Engler's (another piece of work) pit bull. She assisted with her strident views to help get rid of any Republicans who she or Newt Gingrich deemed too moderate. But her crowning achievement was the introduction and ultimate passage of a "school choice" bill which allowed the creation of private schools that received per-pupil funding from public tax revenues just like the regular public schools. She and her ilk argued that the private schools would ultimately help the public schools through "competition" but I, like many others, believed the whole scheme was to help religious groups (lwhites) reverse segregate their children from minorities in large school districts. Rather than help the regular public schools, it only siphoned off hundreds of millions of dollars to their darling charter schools. Meanwhile, the regular public schools (especially those in areas of high minority enrollment) have continued their downhill slide An absolutely disgraceful abdication of government's responsibility to improve and finance public education for the middle and lower classes (it's my view that the religious crackpots and the wealthy can take care of themselves).

At least in Michigan I considered her Public Enemy No. 1 to the public education system. And she's idiot Trump's choice for Secretary of Education. Disgusting.