Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

fountainhall
Liked: 114 times
Been liked: 307 times

#21 Re: Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

Postby fountainhall » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:21 am

Yes, it was obvious! My reference to "you" was meant to be the collective "you" - hence my comment. Sorry it was not clear.

thaiworthy
Liked: 60 times
Been liked: 131 times

#22 Re: Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

Postby thaiworthy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:10 pm

I watched “Call Me By Your Name” several nights ago. There were 3 things I especially liked about it. It has a great title, great title theme song, and a nice little speech by the father near the end of the story. If you can call it a story. If you have not seen this film, but intend to, do not read any further.

Unfortunately, this is all that is outstanding about it, the rest is a banal, lifeless “boy meets boy” string of casual events. There is no story, there are no characters. And that’s because there is no dialog. No real dialog, because that is the only way to define characters. It is chit-chat. The actors, if you can call them actors, deliver their lines as if they were reciting them, not really meaning them. The plot, if you can call it a plot, is just a dangling mess of scenes. Some start abruptly and end abruptly just when they just seem to be going somewhere. There isn’t even a sub-plot. They are black holes of plots from which all imagination escapes.

The first agonizing hour is a collection of eating at a table with polite conversation one minute, followed by bicycling, drinking, swimming, more eating, then more conversations about when they’re eating next. “See you at dinnertime." and "When’s lunch?” or some such trivial chatter.

I do not even see how the characters could possibly be attracted to one another in a meaningful way. Their interaction is a collection of quips and cute, choppy lines meant to explore the “intentions” of the other. Or should I say “sexual tensions,” because that’s all there is between them.

This isn’t even a gay film. Both our heroes are robust bisexuals. The character of Elio is nothing more than a sexually frustrated teenager with a bad case of ants in the pants. There is one scene of him laying in bed, fucking a peach. A peach? Do we think the entire orchard can satisfy him? No, not a chance. Girls are so out-of-fashion for this young man.

I think all the excitement connected with this film centers around the youthful body of Elio and his musical talents, a combination for sure to make hearts all-a-flutter at the box office and in the eyes of some reviewers. Be that as it may, just swap out heterosexual roles for the gay ones and see what you come up with.

“Call Me By Your Name” is a long way down from “The Squaw Man.”

The Squaw Man is a 1918 American Western film directed by Cecil B. DeMille. It is a remake of DeMille's 1914 film of the same name, which is based upon a 1905 play by Edwin Milton Royle. The film was reportedly made as an experiment to prove DeMille's theory that a good film is based on a good story.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." --George Carlin

fountainhall

#23 Re: Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

Postby fountainhall » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:18 pm

Best Film and Best Actor Oscar nominations plus Best Adapted Screenplay? Obviously some others apart from me found a lot more in it. And it's still running in Bangkok after all these weeks! :o :o

thaiworthy
Liked: 60 times
Been liked: 131 times

#24 Re: Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

Postby thaiworthy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:17 pm

fountainhall wrote:Best Film and Best Actor Oscar nominations plus Best Adapted Screenplay? Obviously some others apart from me found a lot more in it. And it's still running in Bangkok after all these weeks! :o :o

Obviously, will win many awards. The peach should get an easy nomination for Best Performance by an Inanimate Object.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." --George Carlin

Pattayamale
Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

#25 Re: Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

Postby Pattayamale » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:22 pm

They have been selling the DVD in Pattaya for a few months. I enjoyed watching it.
Pattayamale
Living happily

thewayhelooks
Been liked: 36 times

#26 Re: Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

Postby thewayhelooks » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:01 pm

Now screening in Pattaya at Central Festival from today, the 22nd. One session only at 18.10.

fountainhall

#27 Re: Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

Postby fountainhall » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:48 am

I am delighted that James Ivory won the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay. As a director he just missed out on three earlier Oscar nominations when he was a mainstay of the great Merchant/Ivory classics - Room with a View, Howard's End and Remains of the Day. I thought it especially fitting that he mentioned his late-partners on those movies, producer Ismail Merchant and writer Ruth Prawer Jhabvala.

And on a night of plugs, one for a friend of mine Luciana Arrighi who in 1993 won the Oscar for Best Art Direction for that Ismail/Merchant Howard's End. Later, as Production Designer for the Jodie Foster/Chow Yun Fat movie Anna and the King, she and the company had to work in Malaysia. Thailand's lese majeste laws prevented the movie being shot here in Thailand.

windwalker
Liked: 129 times
Been liked: 53 times

#28 Re: Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

Postby windwalker » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:09 pm

Finally saw Call Me By Your Name and did like it. That was a surprise after reading the dismal review by Thaiworthy ;)

Yes, it did get off to a slow start but things picked up as time went on.

windwalker
Liked: 129 times
Been liked: 53 times

#29 Re: Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

Postby windwalker » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:16 pm

After reflecting, overnight, I do agree with Thaiworthy's comments on this film.
Yes, I did like it, but basically a hodgepodge of lines taken from the book with little or no sense to the over all movie. The ending was good, however.

fountainhall

#30 Re: Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

Postby fountainhall » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:00 pm

A little fact of which I had been entirely unaware. The partnership I referred to earlier of James Ivory, the writer (and originally also the director) of "Call Me By Your Name" who became the oldest man ever to receive an Oscar, with Ismail Merchant had produced some wonderful movies. Unknown to me, they were in fact lovers and partners for more than 40 years.

In an interview in today's Guardian, he returns to his earlier comments about being unhappy there was no frontal nudity in "Call Me By Your Name". He had written in into the script and states that the director had definitely agreed to it.

One aspect that does still rankle with him is the absence of full-frontal male nudity. Ivory’s screenplay specified that Elio and Oliver would be shown naked, a detail overruled by clauses in the actors’ contracts. “When Luca says he never thought of putting nudity in, that is totally untrue,” says Ivory. “He sat in this very room where I am sitting now, talking about how he would do it, so when he says that it was a conscious aesthetic decision not to – well, that’s just bullshit.

“When people are wandering around before or after making love, and they’re decorously covered with sheets, it’s always seemed phoney to me. I never liked doing that. And I don’t do it, as you know.” In Maurice, his 1987 film of EM Forster’s posthumously published gay love story, “the two guys have had sex and they get up and you certainly see everything there is to be seen. To me, that’s a more natural way of doing things than to hide them, or to do what Luca did, which is to pan the camera out of the window toward some trees. Well …” He gives a derisive snort.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/m ... ame-nudity

The movie has also made a tidy profit. Filmed on a budget of around $4 million, the box office receipts up to last weekend were $37,941,949.

Return to “Everything Else”