Finally ... cracking down on abhorrent criminal activity in Pattaya

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dale1

Finally ... cracking down on abhorrent criminal activity in Pattaya

Post by Dale1 »

New crackdown sees darts BANNED in Pattaya

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/10 ... n-pattaya/

Foreigners are once again caught up in yet another crackdown, but this time it is not visa overstayers or foreign crime syndicates.

Bar goers in Pattaya were up in arms this week after police put a stop to one of their favourite pastimes.

Last Wednesday (Jan 31) police in Pattaya launched raids on a number of venues popular with expats and foreign tourists.

The purpose of the raids was to confiscate dartboards from bars in Soi 6, as well as at other locations in the resort town.

Thaivisa has been told how police turned up at one Soi 6 bar demanding to see their “dartboard license”, much to the bewilderment of staff.

When the staff were unable to produce the documentation required, police confiscated their dartboards.

When asked how to apply for such license, bar staff were told that the license doesn’t actually exist but will be a requirement imminently.

The existing entertainment license required by bars doesn’t cover playing darts, staff were informed.

Until then, venues in Pattaya are not allowed to let patrons play darts.

It was not only bars in Soi 6 that were subject of the crackdown on darts playing.

Thaivisa also understands the new requirements for a ‘dartboard license’ have resulted in the suspension of Pattaya’s popular darts league, which many expats in the town take part in.

Organisers of the amateur darts league have taken the matter up with officials at Pattaya City Hall, as well as with the Thailand Darts Association in order to seek clarification on the matter.

This wouldn’t be the first time that a crackdown has been launched on what is a seemingly innocent pursuit enjoyed by many expats.

In 2016, police raided the Jomtien and Pattaya Bridge Club, which resulted in 32 elderly foreigners, including an 84 year old Dutch woman, arrested for gambling and thrown in the cells.

The incident made headlines around the world.
thewayhelooks

Re: Finally ... cracking down on abhorrent criminal activity in Pattaya

Post by thewayhelooks »

I guess chess players will be next. Damn subversives.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

thewayhelooks wrote:I guess chess players will be next.
Don't forget, they already went after the bridge players. After all, Thailand is certainly obligated to purge such dangerous, horrendous criminal activity . . .

Welcome once again to my "I Don't Get It" list.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Nice to see they are policing important stuff like dart boards, rather than, for example, the minor issue of hazardous driving, which causes a few fatalities.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

If only they'd ban tattoos. Guess if I survive long enough then maybe........