Which is the Best Dating App in Bangkok?

Anything and everything about Thailand
fountainhall

Which is the Best Dating App in Bangkok?

Post by fountainhall »

I tend to be a bit late in keeping up with trends. For years I have used Gay Romeo and it took some time before I downloaded Grindr, Jack'd and Hornet. It was even more recently that I added Blued, believing that it was primarily for guys living in China.

Checking in Bangkok today, it seems clear that Blued is now way ahead of the others. Without paying anything, I can access about 80 profiles on Grindr, 100 on Hornet and 300 on Jack'd, all within 2 - 2.5 kms from where i live. On Blued, though, there are about 120 within 1 km, 300 within 1.4 kms and 600 within 2 kms. There are lots more but thereafter i gave up counting. The impression I have is that there are only a few money boys in that mix.

The one drawback of Blued is that you are likely to get quite a few hits from lonely guys all over China. Many are very cute and in the 18 - 25 age range. As elsewhere in Asia there is a group of young guys who really want to be with much older westerners. Of those with whom I have chatted, money has never once been mentioned. The only hope expressed has been that I might be able to meet up with them in their cities.

If you want to start a conversation with a Chinese guy it is easy as Blued has an instant translation facility that is simple to use - you merely place your finger over the Chinese and up comes pretty good English. Blued also asks its members for more information than the other sites.

I have no idea what Blued is like in Pattaya and elsewhere. I will check in Hong Kong and Taipei on my next trip in a couple of weeks.
Jun

Re: Which is the Best Dating App in Bangkok?

Post by Jun »

I'm not sure about Blued in Bangkok, but when I fired it up in Pattaya, the only guy who contacted me seemed to be promoting video sex. And he kept contacting me. Of course, I don't got to Pattaya for the video variety, so I disabled the app.

In many places in the world, Grindr seems very popular, including Bangkok.

The 2 on line dates I fixed on a recent short stay in Bangkok were on Planet Romeo. However, your method of counting the number of people within a raidus is much more reliable. I didn't try that in Bangkok, but in some parts of the world, Grindr is top of that kind of study.

Whilst I didn't see this in Pattaya, the Grindr advertising in the UK is VERY inconvenient. For example, with my phone in vibrate mode (silent), it will start playing a 15 second video & my choices are to watch it, shut the app, or turn the volume down. If you are discretely checking Grindr in a quiet but public location, this loud video can be noticed by others.

So I kind of hope Planet Romeo regains share. Their advertising is discrete, the latest phone app works fine AND I can have several filters applied for free.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Blued seems automatically to give you profiles of guys near you. But there must be some way I have not yet worked out of seeing guys further away. I have been contacted by quite a few guys from several 100 kms away, one of whom is coming to Bangkok this weekend and we plan to meet. Mercifully there are almost no advertisements at present. I assume that will change.

If you happen to be heading for China and start a conversation, most guys on Blued will want to move over to WeChat rather than Line or WhatsApp. WeChat also has the instant Chinese/English translation facility.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:If you happen to be heading for China
Which China are you referring to? Mainland China? Taiwan? Hong Kong?

I use the gay hookup apps quite frequently and due to the excellent results I almost always get, I hardly ever bother with the bars anymore.

I can't say one app is better than another or any particular app qualifies as the best app. I check several of them. Whichever app happens to have a young gentleman online who appeals to me, and the gent also happens to be willing, that's my idea of the best dating app - for the moment. Next day, it might be one of the other apps that becomes the best dating app.

I almost never end up with a no-show and almost never end up disappointed by the boy who does arrive.

Thailand's bar scene may not presently be what it used to be, but there is still a bar scene. And along with the bar scene you also have the gay dating apps, and quite often simply meeting someone by chance. If that sounds too good to be true, it isn't. It really is that good.

Another thought - those dating apps can come in very handy if you find yourself somewhere in Thailand where there is no bar scene.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote:Which China are you referring to? Mainland China? Taiwan? Hong Kong?
Sorry I missed that question - hence the late response. I was referring to mainland China. Quite a number of the many who have contacted me live in Shenzhen, This is just 45 minutes on the MRT from central Hong Kong, so easy to get to if you have a China visa - preferably multiple entry. I will be in Hong Kong and Taipei next week and will report back on how Blued works there (although I have no time to visit Shenzhen on this trip, sadly).

The more I look at the apps in Bangkok, the more Blued seems to be way ahead of the others, with Gay Romeo coming in quite far behind. The other evening I was out in the Baan Kaen area (east of Don Mueang) for dinner with friends. Blued never stopped pinging! All were boys who live or work in and around that area. Several looked stunning and I have set up dates for my return at the end of the month. But if it's like this in Hong Kong and Taipei, I expect to return exhausted!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:I expect to return exhausted!
I hope that's just what will happen . . .
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

I hesitate to comment on this thread since after 15 years of spending a minimum of 90 days per year in Thailand , I have not visited for 2 years.

1. First I generally did not use the apps often in BKK. I found the size of the city made for much harder hook up because of distances involved and the fact many of the boys on the apps are not technically money boys. In other words they had real jobs or were actually in a University. When I visited Thailand, I had no interest to fall in love . I want sex partners.

That is why Pattaya would be my place of residence for at least 75% of my days in Thailand and many times 90%.

So Romeo for a long time was my first choice and then over time added Hornet and Jack'd. Like GB my overall satisfaction rate was very high. Plus I love being able to find someone in the morning or the afternoon when Bars don't exist and rarely did I contact anyone on any of those apps where the boy was not a money boy.

As time went on Romeo was till my first choice but the other 2 certainly provide me with lots of boys. As a result I spent less and less time in the Bars.

Since I don't drink they became less and less interesting to me and frankly most don't know how to run a Bar . The days of Kaos in Sunee etc would certainly still attract me but I rarely find that type of Bar any longer .

Also I would have to say about 1/2 or more of the boys I got from the apps worked in the Bars . Sometimes if a boy looked too good to be true and he told me where he worked , I would visit that Bar. I'd say maybe 1/2 the time the pics were too good to be true. HeHe.

However recently I have started to scout Romeo for future meetings and find the offerings the worst I can remember. I have a hard time finding anyone that really interests me. However that is not the case on Hornet and Jack'd where I still find many boys that I would love to meet if still available when I return.

Has anyone else noticed the quality of offering on Romeo to be less then before?
SP55

Post by SP55 »

firecat69 wrote: Romeo for future meetings and find the offerings the worst I can remember. I have a hard time finding anyone that really interests me. However that is not the case on Hornet and Jack'd where I still find many boys that I would love to meet if still available when I return.

Has anyone else noticed the quality of offering on Romeo to be less then before?
My experience is 100% same as yours. Romeo was great in Pattaya up til about 2 years ago. Now terrible quality. I get the impression the new boys don't even know about that app. Hornet is best for Pattaya.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

firecat69 wrote:Has anyone else noticed the quality of offering on Romeo to be less then before?
To me, it doesn't make any difference which app somebody else decides is best or worst. I go by my own tastes. And, again, I check all the apps. Why not? Whichever app has the boy who most appeals to me, I just found the best app - for that day.

As for quality, that depends on what you consider to be "quality." We all have our individual preferences. My idea of quality and boys who appeal to me might very well be totally different from another person.

For me, a perfect example is facial hair. A boy might be perfect for me in every other way, but if he has one of those scraggly mustaches and/or a beard, forget it. That turns me right off. For others, that might be exactly what they like.

"Oh, I don't like Gauls. Hairy."
- Peter Ustinov (Batiatus), 'Spartacus'
Jun

Post by Jun »

On my most recent trip, most of the on line dates were from Planet Romeo & Grindr. Not one from Hornet, or JackD.
In 2016, I think every single lad I had in Pattaya involved some kind of off fee, since even the lads on the apps were working in bars.
In 2017, way over 50% of the dates were on line.

I kind of hope Planet Romeo keep market share, since, they finally have a decent phone app and the free functionality is way ahead of Grindr. Also their advertising is less intrusive than either Grindr or Hornet. That's simply a better service, so supporting it is a good idea.

However, can be necessary to go where the boys are.
That's obvious in parts of Europe, as it's no good searching Planet Romeo in the Algarve (for example), when the nearest boy is over 100 km away & Grindr has boys in the same town as me.
Here in the UK, right now, with the filter off, there is one other person on line with Planet Romeo within a 20km radius. On Grindr, there are almost 30 people aged 27 or under within a 11km radius.

Thankfully, in Pattaya, Planet Romeo still has plenty of boys. So it's only right to use it.

The one thing to be careful about is the risk of conducting parallel conversations with the same boy, who has different photos on multiple apps. These can be quite deceiving, particularly if the photos are not clear, or if there are several years between the photos.

Actually, that's another point. Grindr has one photo. Hornet about 3 & Planet Romeo has the facility for multiple photos. Sometimes a Planet Romeo lad has a cute main photo, then when looking through the remaining photos, there is one taken several year later when he has gained about 10kg, or had a pair of breasts installed. On Grindr, you just see the good photo, whereas the carefully checking the full set on Planet Romeo can prevent disappointment or wasted time.

I used to quite like JackD. Lots of functionality. However, it went through a period where the app kept crashing. Now the app works well, but all the customers seem to have flown away.