Thai coins to be replaced with image of H.M. King Maha Vajiralongkorn

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Thai coins to be replaced with image of H.M. King Maha Vajiralongkorn

Post by Gaybutton »

So far, nothing has been said about making changes to the paper money. For at least the time being, paper money will continue to bear the image of the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

New run of coins to be minted bearing face of HM the King

by Wichit Chantanusornsiri

18 Dec 2017

The Treasury Department will propose the production of coins bearing the face of His Majesty King Maha Vajiralongkorn Bodindradebayavarangkun to the cabinet on Tuesday.

Pachara Anantasin, the director-general of the Treasury Department, said Sunday the proposal will be tabled at the day's cabinet meeting.

The amount of the coins produced in the first run will depend on the cabinet resolution, he said, adding the coins were expected to be launched after the coronation of His Majesty the King.

As for commemorative coins for the coronation, Mr Pachara said the department hoped to mint them along with those general coins, and the plan was now being considered by the King.

The public can still use coins bearing the portrait of the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej for payment as usual. The old versions of the coins will be gradually replaced by King Rama X's coins, he said.

According to the department, around 30.77 billion coins, worth 61.7 billion baht, bearing the late King's portrait are currently in circulation in the country with an expected lifetime of around 10 years.

Meanwhile, a total of 3,156,408 people flocked to the late King's royal crematorium site at Sanam Luang in Bangkok between Nov 2 and Dec 16, according to a unit maintaining peace and order during the exhibition after the late King's royal funeral rite.

On Saturday alone, the site welcomed a total of 48,605 visitors who admired the crematorium, Phra Meru Mas and exhibitions featuring King Bhumibol's royal projects and the traditional beliefs associated with crematorium construction.

Maj Gen Thani Chuichay, deputy chief of the unit, said authorities are preparing to handle an increase in the number of visitors during the last two weeks of the exhibition which will be open to the public until Dec 31.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... m-the-king
christianpfc

Re: Thai coins to be replaced with image of H.M. King Maha Vajiralongkorn

Post by christianpfc »

The new series of paper money still have Rama 9 on front and back side, now with date of birth and death, and different pictures of Rama 9 than previous series.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

christianpfc wrote:The new series of paper money still have Rama 9 on front and back side
Your post is the first I've heard of it. Do you have any information as to when to expect the new series to come into circulation?
Jun

Post by Jun »

A practical question, for those of us who may hold a few thousand baht in cash from one trip to the next: Does Thailand have any history of rapidly taking old notes out of circulation after a new style is introduced?
I presume not, as there is already more than one thousand baht note style (for all I know, the other notes).

In the UK, the recent issues of new coins & notes have only had the 2 styles as legal tender for a few months. Admittedly the old ones can be changed at the Bank of England forever.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:hold a few thousand baht in cash from one trip to the next
If you're asking whether your old bills will eventually be refused as legal tender, the answer is no. If you have any concerns about it, you can always go to a bank and exchange your old bills for new ones.

If you're holding old bills to have some ready cash for your next trip, those bills will probably be spent long before anyone starts questioning them.

You could also just hold on to your old bills. Who knows? Maybe in three or four hundred years they'll be worth something as collector's items . . .

As long as ATMs continue dispensing old bills, you don't have to worry.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

I suspect you will not be able to use ATM Deposit machines with any new notes in the foreseeable future. It will spit them out as unacceptable. ATMs may dispense them, but I've had problems with the latest 1000 baht notes in the last re-design.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

thaiworthy wrote:I suspect you will not be able to use ATM Deposit machines with any new notes in the foreseeable future.
Good point. We don't know yet when new notes will come into existence. If the banks are given samples of the new notes before they go into circulation, maybe a miracle will occur and the banks will all have the the foresight to upgrade their deposit machine software to accept the new notes. But I won't be holding my breath.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I'm not sure how many note designs are current, but the Kasikorn machine in the Silom Complex took a mix of 2 types of 1000 baht note with no problems.
neddy3

Post by neddy3 »

There are only two versions of each denomination note in circulation.

The old version of the 20, 50, and 500 are now rarely seen.
Older 100 are more common, and older 1000 very common.

In time there will doubtless be a new note series depicting Rama X.
Thus could be quite some time away.
Maybe after a coronation, and there seems to be no news about that event yet.