Gay Chinese tourists flock to Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

By Nnkhiaokam

November 10, 2017

Bathed in a pink spotlight, the cabaret singer at Phuket’s ZAG bar lip-syncs the top notes of a popular Mandarin love song, delighting the crowd of gay Chinese tourists who have escaped judgment at home for sexual freedom in Thailand.

Yet in China being openly gay is still fraught with difficulties.Dressing a certain way or public displays of affection can draw stares and lead to family turmoil. Some Chinese parents have even brought gay children to “conversion” clinics for treatment.

Homosexuality was classified as a mental illness in China until 2001 and a crime until 1997, and authorities have arrested gay rights activists.That makes Thailand, renowned for its more permissive attitude towards sexuality, an alluring holiday option for gay Chinese looking to cut loose away from family pressures and censorious eyes.

“Chinese tourists are great customers. They’re polite and curious about Thailand,” said a waiter at the nearby MO2 club. Chinese travel companies are also crowding in to tap the market. Nearly a dozen agents offer trips to Thailand for gay tourists, with ads showing travelers partying on yachts decorated with rainbow streamers and balloons. The relaxed atmosphere offers a rush of liberation for those who make the trip.” I have a lot of friends who don’t feel safe in China and feel they need to hide.

In Thailand they don’t have to worry,” said Ji Chengfeng, a 37-year-old entrepreneur from Beijing, who was visiting Phuket on one of his frequent holidays in the kingdom. Pink tourist dollars. China sends more tourists to Thailand than any other country, with cheap air links and no visa requirements funneling visitors to the kingdom.

Many are not parents and therefore have a greater disposable income, plus are better able to travel outside peak holiday periods.In recent years, on the heels of gay marriage court rulings, tourist boards in the more permissive corners of the world are promoting their countries as same-sex wedding and honeymoon destinations.

While same-sex marriage is not officially recognized under Thai law, it is a widely accepted practice and Buddhist monks often preside over such ceremonies. But it remains strictly illegal in China, where a court last year ruled against two men seeking to marry. Several Thai entertainers, tour guides and service staff, told AFP they were studying Mandarin to improve communication with Chinese visitors.

http://pattayaone.news/en/gay-chinese-t ... -thailand/
Trongpai

Re: Gay Chinese tourists flock to Thailand

Post by Trongpai »

Here is a ch 3 follow up to that story from a Bangkok perspective.

It's almost all in Thai, no subs, but he speaks slow and you might understand some of it if you understand a little Thai. He's not saying much but what he's saying is positive. He starts out on Silom soi 2 and 4 and then walks down soi Twilight. The question he is asking is are gay Chinese coming here for the freedom that Thailand has to offer. Yes, the majority of the customers are Chinese from SE Asia and everyone says that's a good thing.

You might see a lot of familiar faces. At 13:02 you'll see two of the notorious mamasans of Classic Bar. The lady at 17:39 is the manager (Boss Lady) of Classic. A very nice lady with a good memory for names.

Generally when ch.3 takes a camera on the night life of Silom it's a raid, drug testing or a negative story. It's nice to see something positive.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

With a dozen Chinese agents already in the 'pink' tour market (if I read correctly that these are China-based agencies), no doubt the number will mushroom sooner rather than later. And with most of these Chinese gay guys being relatively wealthy, I suspect that the market for less well-off western gay tourists will become even more expensive - in Bangkok at least, although perhaps not Pattaya. We have already seen the price of drinks in Soi Twilight soar because most of the lower market group tourists who presently visit do so for the shows and only rarely for offs. Even the single and small group tourists from other Asian countries seem more interested in saunas, bars and clubs rather than offing from go-go bars.

So I wonder if the wealthier 'pink' Chinese tourists will follow the same pattern or interest themselves in offs in addition to shows. That just might encourage bars to have a greater complement of go-go boys. And with the German owner of Dreamboys already having announced he is giving up, perhaps other entrepreneurs might be encouraged to become owners/manager. I am not convinced - but will be pleased if I am wrong.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

I have a couple of questions about German Owner giving up?

I must have missed that announcement. Also I am quite sure he is only a minority owner , ( told to me by his long time BF) Admittedly that is old news since I have not visited for 2 years but I would be interested in what FH knows.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Trongpai's report in a post here in a thread about Classic Boys about a month ago -
Trongpai wrote:The German owner of Dream Boys/Boys Bangkok told his staff that he's closing in 2 years. He said he will not sell it to a new owner. He's retiring and leaving the business.
Trongpai usually has his ear very close to the ground in these matters!
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Yes, that's what he said to the staff but he has not set a date yet. He's just retiring, not giving up, he's quite old and he deserves a rest.

He does not own the building and someone else can open something in it's place and probably will.

As for his claim he will not sell Dream Boys/Boys Bangkok. We shall see.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

If Dreamboys closes/becomes something else, I foresee a drop in Soi Twilight prices. Good.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

If they are still bringing the Chinese in, why would other Bars lower their prices? They more likely would raise them to the same level ( almost there anyways) since they would no longer have the competition! Thus they would all have more boys..

When was the last time you have seen a GoGo Bar in Bangkok lower their prices? Pretty sure the answer is never!
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I'm with firecat on this one. If two bars end up in that great go-go paradise in the sky and assuming they are not replaced, there will be less competition. That would result initially in greater demand for the remaining go-go bars and much smaller supply. Ergo prices will rise.

But this presupposes there will still be a market for the traditional go-go boy bar model from the new breed of individual Chinese gay tourists. So far that is not proving to be the case and some, myself included, have predicted the end of Soi Twilight as we know it. But if Dreamboys/Boys Bangkok are sold on and all the bar owners adapt their product to the needs of this new Chinese gay tourist market, who knows how rosy the future could perhaps be? Aha! But then there is the BIB to be brought into the equation and a government intent on focussing now more on high-end tourism. A thriving gay sex scene probably does not fit that new image for the country.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

I said that if Dreamboys became SOMETHING else,or closes,then prices may drop.
I stick with this....if the Chinese straights leave I see no reason for the prices to be so high.
If, as Firecat thinks, they continue as gay tourists that is entirely another matter.