Finally - Butt don't hold your breath

Anything and everything about Thailand
mahjongguy

Re: Finally - Butt don't hold your breath

Post by mahjongguy »

I don't mind being told where I can smoke and where I can't, just be clear about the rules. What is the beach and what isn't? If the road has a sidewalk, is that part of the forbidden zone? If so, how about the road itself?

Don't let this be a set-up for extortion. Put it in writing and I'll keep a copy in my wallet.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

While I'm glad to know they are working on stopping cigarette butts from polluting the beaches, I'd also like to know when they're going to do something about the raw sewage being dumped right into the sea, along with god-knows-what ending up in the sea when torrential rains are draining off - with water gushing out from the sewers just to enhance the beauty and perfume . . .

Up2u is probably right about "don't hold your breath." Like most other new rules around here, this one will likely last two weeks or less. I give it two days or less.

Who do they think will be enforcing it? Are they really going to send police officers to patrol the beaches, looking for smokers?

Well, gee whiz - what happened to closing the beaches on Wednesdays for the city's major beach cleanup efforts?

They better put up a whole-buncha-lotta no smoking signs. After all, if they start arresting and heavily fining farang smokers on their holiday at the beach, it might hurt Pattaya's good image . . .
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:They better put up a whole-buncha-lotta no smoking signs. After all, if they start arresting and heavily fining farang smokers on their holiday at the beach, it might hurt Pattaya's good image . . .
The farang I know would be delighted if they stopped smoking on the beach.
It's not my idea of the biggest problem, but if there is a chain smoker up wind, it can spoil the experience, so I favour a smoking ban.
I gather smoking on the beach is not permitted in at least parts of California for example, so there is precedent for this anti-pollution measure.

They could designate a smoking area a couple of miles further south.
deanagam

Post by deanagam »

Alternatively, they could designate a smoking area every one hundred metres of the beach, or build smoking kiosks like ones at airports.
Jun

Post by Jun »

It depends on the objective of the ban.

If the purpose is to get rid of cigarette butts, the solution should be to ban smoking completely or concentrate them all in an area that can be cleaned on a daily basis.
If the purpose is to protect other beach users, a 5~10m gap either side of a smoking zone is needed, so you need less frequent smoking zones.

[The headline has me thinking of a more attractive type of butt sometimes seen on the beach].
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The beach smoking ban has been delayed until February.

See: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/beach-s ... ary-191322
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Who cares about smoking being banned?
It's banning booze that's much more worrying. A beach without a "Leo yai" is a beach no longer.
And butts? As long as they're nothing to do with fags I'm happy to watch butts go by ... preferably ~ "definitely" ~ Thai butts naturally.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

They are also going to ban vaping. How many butts are left from vaping? Not only importing, manufacturing and selling but now vaping itself.
Actually I find it more objectionable than smoking -- but how can they suggest the bans are for cigarette butts?
As pointed out above -- postponed till February anyway. But what about alcohol?
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

A friend in Jomtien had told me that the boys at his resting place on the beach had made their own smoking area with chairs around where they serve.
Now today he tells me that the old lavatory building has become the official smoking area. Not sure if you can pee and smoke at the same time.