Favourite places in Pattaya

Anything and everything about Thailand
Oliver

Favourite places in Pattaya

Post by Oliver »

Undaunted's comments about the Tuk Com area reminded me that, excluding gay areas of the city, Pattaya Tai is my favourite place....a gentle walk through the temple and lunch in Tuk Com with P is one of the things I'm look forward to most.
So my question is this; what parts of our beloved city (once described as "Shitsville" on another forum I recall) do posters like most? excluding our gay haunts, of course.
windwalker

Re: Favourite places in Pattaya

Post by windwalker »

Oliver, other than the gay nightlife plus some other restaurant venues I can't think of any favourite places in Pattaya that I frequent. Having said that, I don't own a motorbike, so don't get around that much But, yes, I do walk thru the Wat Chai grounds on a daily basis which, unfortunately, is more a parking lot than an urban oasis.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Walking through the temple is a good short cut.

I quite like the Tuk Com area as a base, since it's got pretty much everything you need & the area behind Tuk Com is rather quiet.
The Gafae coffee shop is a pleasant place for breakfast & even the Starbucks upstairs lounge is a pleasant place for another coffee.
Also, it's a short walk to both Sunee & Boyztown.
jimnbkk
Location: Usually Arlington, VA when I cannot be in Thailand.

Post by jimnbkk »

The beach in Jomtien is/was (?) a quiet place to spend a day reading and enjoying friends. NEVER go in the water because of the pollution. Boys? Sometimes.

Now not so sure. There's big changes. Thais seem to enjoy fixing things that aren't broken. One thing that's broken down at Dongtan beach and they don't seem to have fixed according to photos of all the new/improvements posted online, is the storm drain system. They've cleverly raised the edge of these drains above the walk way about an inch in most places to keep all that water out. We get a chance to clean the sand off our sandals slogging down the roadway (never wear shoes down there). Also the water doesn't flow too well in those drains anyway because they've filled with trash and sand. Broken in my mind, but not fixed.
TomUK

Post by TomUK »

One of my favourite places must be the hotel I am staying at in Pattaya. I have been a regular guest over the last 11 years and unless it is fully booked I wouldn't stay anywhere else now. It is located in a relative quiet area, close to a baht bus stop and in walking distance to Boyztown and Sunee Plaza. Most members would probably disagree with the last statement and, admittedly, most times I hop on a baht bus or take a motocy taxi to go to these gay areas.

Another place I have been visiting frequently is what they now call Central Marina. Although, after the redevelopment, it now appears to me like an old friend with a facelift horribly gone wrong. I have gone here to the cinema many times in the past. When I arrive in Pattaya I usually go here with a friend or two for a meal at Shabushi. I also liked to go to the Avenue and Royal Garden Plaza, but since none of them have a decent bookshop anymore they all lost their major attraction as far as I am concerned.

I have been thinking about my favourite outdoor place in Pattaya but couldn't think of any park or similar where I could get to without driving. Since I spend most of my time in rural Isaan it doesn't matter too much to me.
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

No name for this wonderful hotel?
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Yes, what is the name of this hotel ?
TomUK

Post by TomUK »

I just hope that there won't be a pile-up of pink zimmer frames in the car park: The hotel is the Best Beach Villa in Soi 5 off Beach Road. Alcazar is opposite Soi 5 on Second Road.
atri1666

Post by atri1666 »

2018 i will give Jomtien another try after long abstinence from LOS. My favorite place will be the Jacuzzi Garden Suite in East Suites.
a447

Post by a447 »

One of the problems in Pattaya is that there is little of interest to keep me occupied during the day.

Having said that, I spend lots of time at Central Festival because I love shopping.

Also, there is a great selection of restaurants.

It's the same for me in Bangkok - I hang out in Siam Paragon, Centralworld, Gaysorn, etc. The food choices there are endless.