How Addicted to Thailand are you?

Dodger

Re: How Addicted to Thailand are you?

Post by Dodger »

Trump's golden jet did a u-turn over Chicago during his campaign. He decided is was best not to land when he spotted +30,000 angry protesters carrying signs with his smiling face smeared with vulgar slogans. I think his security force told him that if he insisted on landing he would be getting off the plane alone... :lol:
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I guess I am no longer addicted to Thailand. As my reports will have shown, increasingly I love my trips to Taipei and I could see myself living there quite easily - if it were not for cash. Apartment rental is a lot more expensive unless you live outside the cities, and although they are trying to encourage more retirees, they haven't solved the visa issue yet. The maximum stay is 3 months non-extendable. I suspect you may be able to depart for 1 or 2 days and then return, but am not yet sure.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:they haven't solved the visa issue yet. The maximum stay is 3 months non-extendable. I suspect you may be able to depart for 1 or 2 days and then return, but am not yet sure.
That would get old - fast.

I'm trying to make sense out of it. They encourage people to retire there, but retirees have to leave every three months? That's not for me.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Whether war breaks out or not, it's difficult to envisage North Korea firing any of it's missiles into Thailand. At least not intentionally.
Also North Korea is so far away, I wouldn't think the US would be wanting to run bombing raids from airfields in Thailand.

Undaunted wrote: This Friday I will be making my third trip to Phnom Penh with the intention of looking at housing options.
Phnom Penh is an amusing place to visit for a few days, but I think the lack of facilities might make it harder work in the longer term. As for the gay scene, well most of the Cambodian "trade" seem to be in Pattaya.
aussie

Post by aussie »

I have a Korean friend living in Seoul and starting university studies soon. I am very worried about him but the South Koreans are so used to being close to the danger zone that they seem to accept there is not much that they can do about the situation and family ties keep them from just packing up and leaving. If i could get him out of Seoul i would today but no hope of that happening with his close family so the best i can do is an ocassional holiday away and hope for the best with the conflicts in the region. Something that my friend dreads is doing the compulsory military service in South Korea which is well known to not be a great environment for a young gay man. He can defer that till he finishes his university service and hopefully by that time if the country is not blown off the face of the earth i can find a way for us to be together longer term.

As far as my addiction to Thailand a few years back Thailand was my only destination but then i discovered my favourite place Taiwan and other parts of Asia which i return to often like Vietnam and Malaysia with some visits to South Korea and China. I use Thailand as a base for travel and have more friends there than anywhere else. I just find the difficulty of finding any relationship in Thailand that turns out not to be based on financial support to be tiring after so man trips. In the other countries that i visit money is rarely mentioned and in many cases i am the guest and find it difficult not to offend a young man taking me to dinner or whatever by offering to pay half or all of the meal. Quite often i do pay for meals etc as my dates will be university students on low incomes but it not expected every time. For me it is not so much about the money it is about spending time with someone who wants to be with you without the motivation being just $$$

I still enjoy Thailand but definitely the previous addiction has been cured. The last Thai guy that i chatted with in Bangkok recently was asking me to pay for his dental costs for braces each month for two years and that was before the first date. Another lives with his sister away from their family home which always rings alarm bells and she had trained him well to use the farang ATM. Still i accept what Thailand is and there is much more to the country than Bangkok and Pattaya as i found on my many trips to the countryside and staying in villages with previous boyfriends. Dodgers life with his boyfriend sounds very nice by the seaside so maybe our dreams of happiness can become true in Thailand with enough care, practice and the positive attitude that Dodger has always shown in his posts ;)
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote:They encourage people to retire there, but retirees have to leave every three months? That's not for me.
I should have explained that this is a new initiative which has clearly not gone through all the various government departments yet. For a year or two it would not be issue for me yet, as in 16 years living in Thailand I have never once had to make a 90-day report! I am always out of the country every two months or so.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Hi Dodger...I have known you many years thru many boyfriends. I was the offical photographer at your massage palor wedding, I don't think U R addicted to Thailand but rather to the idea of LOVE.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Undaunted wrote:
Hi Dodger...I have known you many years thru many boyfriends. I was the offical photographer at your massage palor wedding, I don't think U R addicted to Thailand but rather to the idea of LOVE.
Absolutely....I'm a romantic at heart.

You may want to give it a try one day. You never know it could be a refreshing change in venue.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Dodger wrote:Undaunted wrote:
Absolutely....I'm a romantic at heart.

You may want to give it a try one day. You never know it could be a refreshing change in venue.

In Thailand or anywhere else I am a realist when the age difference is 30+years.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Undaunted wrote:"
In Thailand or anywhere else I am a realist when the age difference is 30+years.
Having a partner who's 30 years younger than me is what makes me happy. Actually I wouid prefer a 40 year age gap but those cartoons are just too much. That's my reality.