Chinese Whispers

Anything and everything about Thailand
bobsaigon3

Re: Chinese Whispers

Post by bobsaigon3 »

Thanks for the memories, both your memories and the memories of my own that presented themselves after reading your post. I guess all of us who have been in/around Thailand for any length of time have traversed the same peaks and valleys. The poem perfectly sums it up.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Beautifully written brings back a special memory of a boy name M.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

A lovely post, beautifully written and so well encapsulated by that harrowing poem.

I am sure many will have fallen into the same "trap" over the years - despite the little voice in the brain that constantly niggles, reminding us of what we only too late realise we should have abandoned. Mark Twain was sadly on the mark when he said "distance lends enchantment" for I suspect that without those thousands of miles of separation you would have parted with your My Way boy much, much earlier.

In Bangkok I certainly fell into the trap several times. But being based much closer to Bangkok I was in the fortunate position of being able to return much more frequently and let the pangs of unrequited love and affection take their course, only to die away naturally and relatively quickly. For there was always another who melted my heart - and another - and so the cycle continued.

A few, a happy few, broke the mould and are now settled with the boy they fell for so many years ago. I am glad for them.
Joachim

Post by Joachim »

fountainhall wrote:A lovely post, beautifully written and so well encapsulated by that harrowing poem.

A few, a happy few, broke the mould and are now settled with the boy they fell for so many years ago. I am glad for them.
People with whom we are settled are compatible with us in more than one sense. Not young prostitutes with whom we are "madly in love".
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

Thank you for sharing that, PeterUK - yet another thoughtful post. The poem is beautiful
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Joachim wrote:People with whom we are settled are compatible with us in more than one sense. Not young prostitutes with whom we are "madly in love".
Some posters never cease to amaze! Making an assumption that is never actually stated. Whenever did I say in my post that the Thais some farang settled down with had been bar boys? I didn't! Even if I had done so, the assumption that money boys are somehow tainted for life is downright nauseous! The only reference to a bar boy was to the one Oliver specifically mentioned.

Best to take one's own advice as earlier stated in another thread -
Joachim wrote:Just mind your business. At least, do not try to shame others who are not willing to follow your own . . . actions
Making much more major assumptions on the basis of zero or minimal experience is equally wasteful, for it casts doubt on future declarations made with the same lack of factual experience. Talking of which, posters are still waiting for a response to the question twice posed on the Korea thread -
fountainhall wrote:I note you have still not answered my question and so I ask again.
fountainhall wrote:You came to a rather radical conclusion based it seems on a plane change at incheon Airport. Perhaps I was wrong. Even so, can you now kindly inform readers how many times you have visited Seoul over the years and how many nights you have spent in the city in order to come to your judgement?
You'll recall your point was this -
Joachim wrote:I just flew through Seoul. There are absolutely no signs of "imminent war". Stop bullshitting!
I look forward to a factual response in the Korea thread.
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Alas, I do not love you
And I care not if you care.

I take it that a quick dirty fuck is out of the question?

'Tis only a wounded and heavy heart,
Which sobs in quiet,
And only a nespresso machine,
Or cheating at pool,
Can wash away old tears.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )