Isis in SE Asia

firecat69

Isis in SE Asia

Post by firecat69 »

Danger!! Isis is in the Philippines and of course are a threat to move further into SE Asia with Malaysia likely to be the first move. Even with US help the brutal dictator in the Philippines has been unable to beat Isis in Marawi which is predominately Muslim.
The world is a mess and not likely to get any better!

A little known fact at least to me, is there are more Muslims in SE Asian then the Middle East. I don't pay much attention to those things since I think all religions are a JOKE and the cause for millions of deaths in all corners of the world over centuries.
Gaybutton

Re: Isis in SE Asia

Post by Gaybutton »

firecat69 wrote:I think all religions are a JOKE and the cause for millions of deaths in all corners of the world over centuries.
"The only good thing ever to come from religion is the music."
- George Carlin
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

There have already been a couple of threads on ISIS and the havoc they are creating in Mindanao. So far the rest of the country is untouched by their savagery, but who knows when they might decide to attack somewhere in Manila? I would be reluctant to travel there unless the mad Duterte can fully crush the movement in his country.

There are certainly many more Muslims in Asia and have been for many centuries since Islam first took root in the 13th century. Indonesia is the largest Muslim country on earth (with the only remnant of the earlier religion of Hinduism being found on the island of Bali). Muslim Indonesia used to be very gay tolerant. Homosexuality is not illegal - at least for now. Yet a lot has changed in the last 18 months or so. A major anti-gay movement has not only arisen, it seems to have some form of official sanction. Gay dating apps were banned at the end of last year. A group of homophobes raided an apartment in Aceh and had two young men arrested for having sex. With Sharia law in force in that State, the men were subject to whipping in public with 85 lashes each. Apart from the violence against these men, the scene itself is grotesque, almost medieval with those meting out the punishment covered from head to toe in strange garb. Most of those watching were women.

Copyright: The Sun, UK

Copyright: SCMP.com

Earlier 14 gay men were arrested in Surabaya, tested for HIV and the results made public! A few months ago a gay sauna in Jakarta was raided and all 141 present at first arrested with their photos published. Now Jakarta has announced it will form a task force to investigate LGBT activity. The worst indication of the crackdown was unquestionably the outrageous comment last year from the Minister of Defence that gay rights are more dangerous to the country than "a nuclear war." Gay rights advocates fear there will be worse to come.

Some regard this as part of a reaction to ensure that ISIS and its mad philosophy will not take hold in Indonesia. If that is true, then how safe will Bali be, I wonder? As for Muslim Malaysia, a weaker form of Shariah Law is now practised in some States. I do think, however, that it's highly unlikely it will be the next to follow the Philippines. The moderating minority Chinese influence in Malaysia is very strong and the government, however corrupt - and it seems now to be very corrupt, has a pretty firm grip on what happens in the country.

My fear is that we may yet see ISIS rear its ugly head in the south of Thailand. There seems no indication of this at present, but the unrest there has gone on for decades and there is surely little doubt that some Muslims are now becoming desperate. I just hope the army will be watching the situation very carefully and will step in much more quickly than Duterte’s forces did in the Philippines.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/31/asia/ ... index.html
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

The latest news today is that the US may start drone strikes to help the Philippines in its battle against ISIS.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/u-s-m ... es-n790271
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Maybe we can send Trump and Pence to Indonesia and let them attack the LGBTQ community there rather then the USA.
Jun

Post by Jun »

fountainhall wrote: A group of homophobes raided an apartment in Aceh and had two young men arrested for having sex. With Sharia law in force in that State, the men were subject to whipping in public with 85 lashes each. Apart from the violence against these men, the scene itself is grotesque, almost medieval with those meting out the punishment covered from head to toe in strange garb. Most of those watching were women.
That's about par for the course for followers of that particular creed. I would like to personally dish out exactly the same punishment to the people who passed that sentence.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

The Deputy Prime Minister who also holds the security portfolio has raised red flags about the risk of ISIS fighters sneaking in to Thailand. He stated on Monday that -
the government now fears there "probably" are elements of foreign terrorist groups in the country
The General made this remark during an interview about the current crackdown on transnational criminals who may be among the approximately 100,000 foreigners believed to have overstayed their visas.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Are the majority of terrorist incidents in Thailand not from Thai nationals from the troubled area in the south ? (following guess which religion)
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

The answer is basically 'yes' but inevitably the situation is complicated by the forces of history. In the south of the Philippines the Muslim religion became established back in the 13th and 14th centuries, long before the Spanish arrived and converted the majority of the population to Catholicism. ISIS has been assisting these Muslims who want the establishment of a separate southern Islamic state and whom the central government has proclaimed as "rebels" for many decades.

Go further into the issue and there are parallels. The southern provinces of Thailand were initially independent, the Malay Muslim Sultanate of Pattani which was annexed by Thailand in 1785. The status of this region as part of Thailand was formally ratified in the 1909 Treaty by the British colonial regime in Malaya and the Kingdom of Thailand. Most Thais in the south of Thailand are of Malay origin and a majority of these speak the Malay language. If ISIS were to appear in Thailand, I assume it would be to further the calls for some form of Islamic independent state of Pattani to be restored.