I hate to say "I told you so," but . . .

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

I hate to say "I told you so," but . . .

Post by Gaybutton »

Why, more then ever, do I NOT trust the assurances the tunnel will not flood during a torrential rain?

Water Leak In Pattaya Tunnel

Water appears in central Pattaya tunnel. Operator claims it’s underground water.

PATTAYA - 5 July - [PattayaDailyNews]; Reportedly, there is water leak at the end of central Pattaya tunnel because it is lowest point of the tunnel. Pattaya official and contractor are investigating the cause.

Mr Thitiwat Anuruttikul, project engineer, revealed that the water is underground water and the construction doesn’t damage public utility system. As a result, the operator will explore and install drainage to drain the water to main tank in order to cope the problem for long term. It’s expected that it will take around 1 week.

http://pattayadailynews.com/water-leak- ... aya-tunnel

Pattaya Tunnel repaired for water problems before it even opened

July 5, 2017

Pattaya Tunnel being repaired for water problems before it has even opened

The Department of Rural Road have been digging up the exit from Pattaya’s much vaunted tunnel after they noticed water damage to the road surface.

I’m sure this will come as a complete shock to, well, absolutely no one, as the final completion date looks set to get pushed back even further.

The tunnel – supposed to finally open next month – has not had a single car pass through but is already being repaired.

The authorities are blaming the latest setback on some, and I quote, “rogue underground water”.

It will all mean a delay of at least another week as the side leading to Chonburi is repaired.

The 800 million baht tunnel has been constructed over many years. Last month it was reported that it would finally open in August.

Siam Chon news said yesterday that repairs would take a week though they were unsure what that meant for the opening date.

http://pattayaone.news/en/pattaya-tunnel-water-damage
puan

Re: I hate to say "I told you so," but . . .

Post by puan »

Water leak in new tunnel??

To quote that famous American philosopher, Gomer Pyle: "surprise surprise surprise."
Jun

Post by Jun »

Pattaya Daily News wrote:As a result, the operator will explore and install drainage to drain the water to main tank in order to cope the problem for long term.
One would expect the tunnel to have been made with drainage in the first place. Since we're not exactly in death valley, some sort of allowance must be made for rainfall, ground water & so on.
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

Maybe some five year old had a widdle piddle near the tunnel.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

What can you say about the tunnel project that seems to be in trouble before it even opens? Here's the latest:

Major Sukhumvit roadwork ahead near tunnel

July 14, 2017

Major Sukhumvit roadwork ahead near tunnel

The Department of Rural Roads will take about two weeks to dig up Sukhumvit Road and stop ground water from bubbling to the surface.

A section of Sukhumvit near the entrance to the Redemptorist Vocational School has subsided due to underground water washing away the foundation of the busy thoroughfare. Locals complain the area is always wet, even when it hasn’t rained for days.

Somchai Panpao, architect and advisor to Central Road bypass tunnel project, said the water leakage is natural and was not caused by tunnel work nor broken pipes. Pattaya is not far above sea level and ground water is bubbling to the surface.

He said the leak has not affected the tunnel in any way.

Rural Roads Department workers said the job would be a big one, as they need to not only identify where the water was coming from, but devise a way to plug the leak. That, and resurfacing the road, would take about two weeks, they estimated.

Meanwhile, pipes have been installed to shuttle away excess water from the area.

http://pattayaone.news/en/major-sukhumv ... ork-ahead/

-and-

http://www.pattayamail.com/news/major-s ... nel-180609