Time to Think about the 2017 Taipei Gay Pride Parade

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
fountainhall

Time to Think about the 2017 Taipei Gay Pride Parade

Post by fountainhall »

All my photos from various Taipei Gay Pride Parades have disappeared (although strangely aussie’s excellent ones from last year still remain up for the time being).

I remember well the reason for my visiting my first. The previous year I had been in Taipei the day after the Parade, blissfully unaware that it had taken place. On the desk in my room was a copy of that day’s edition of the Taipei Times. There spread across the front page was a photo of the March with so many cute smiling young guys in their Speedos and Aqux swimwear. I decided that I would make sure to attend the 2012 event. I did, and had an absolute ball. It was a wonderfully fun afternoon, warm, sunny and with somewhere in the region of 60,000 guys and gals celebrating their being gay along with a message stressing the importance of equal rights for all. Taipei’s March has always had a social theme attached to it. There were also a few oldies like myself in the crowd, some marching, others just walking along the length of the Parade enjoying the eye candy!

I have now been to four Parades. All have had many special moments. Last year, with an attendance of 82,000, was perhaps less exciting but only because the weather was cloudy with gentle rain. But that certainly did not dampen the marchers’ spirits. Along with 4 friends, we marched much of the way, deciding eventually that a coffee was desperately needed. So we left the march. As usual it continued back to its starting point where a gala concert was held with a number of popular gay artists from Taiwan and Hong Kong taking part.

There are big disco parties on each of the 3 evenings surrounding the Parade. Early attendance is vital because these get packed quickly and long queues form outside. By 2013 my days in heaving discos were over, and so I decided to go to the gay hot spring. I had totally forgotten that many thousands of guys from all over Asia fly in to Taipei for the annual Parades. Those who could not get into the discos would be partying in the pubs and clubs, as well as the saunas – and the hot spring!

On several visits, I had never before had to queue to get into the hot spring. Not so on this evening. Arriving around 6:30 pm and having paid for my entrance ticket, I found a queue outside. It then took 30 minutes just to get through the door, whereafter there was another 20 minute queue before a locker became available. As soon as I caught sight of the main large pool, I did a quick double-take! You could not see the water. It was heaving with bodies, mostly gym fit and in their 20s and 30s. I guess it was like a foam party at Babylon in Bangkok, although everyone was totally naked and there was less frolicking around. So tightly packed was everyone that just to get in and move around it was impossible not to brush against body after body. Of course I tried (LOL). Not surprisingly I totally failed. Quite amazing!

The 2017 Parade

A reminder that this year’s Parade is on Saturday 28 October. Being the first to take place after the approval of Gay Marriage, upwards of 90,000 are expected to be there. With both Taiwanese budget airlines. V Air and Tiger Air Taiwan, having now pulled out of their Thailand routes, there may be a little more pressure on cheap air tickets from Bangkok. Taipei friends of mine were here last week, having flown on Nok Scoot for the equivalent of around Bt. 8,000 return. But the BKK –TPE sector is overnight! Nok Scoot currently has a no-bag round trip fare of Bt. 9,900 for Bangkok departure 27 October for three nights. I have booked on Cathay Pacific through Hong Kong at Bt. 10,400. The non-stop China Airlines (Bt. 12,965 with almost no seats still available on the return) and EVA (also few seats on the return) are the most convenient but so far their tickets are still more expensive. Best to try agents. With less competition, my guess is that these fares can only go one way – up!

Taipei has loads of hotels and lots at decent budget prices. Getting around on the extensive subway system is easy and very cheap. And eating is always cheap and a pleasure!

I hope you will go and have some fun! A selection of photos from the last few years –

Captain Kirk

Re: Time to Think about the 2017 Taipei Gay Pride Parade

Post by Captain Kirk »

Ahh. Was just about to write I've never seen a reason to go to a gay pride march.........and then I saw the pics. Maybe there is after all.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Captain Kirk wrote:Maybe there is after all.
MAYBE ?!?!?!?

Not only would I like to go, but I'd also like the phone numbers for . . . well, ALL of them.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote:I'd also like the phone numbers for . . . well, ALL of them.
Next time I'll carry a placard - FREE TRIPS TO PATTAYA - ACCOMMODATION AND FUN PROVIDED!! Phone numbers here please. :o
ก้นconnoisseur

Post by ก้นconnoisseur »

Great Photos and description! Thanks fountainhall!
aussie

Post by aussie »

Booking my flights tonight :D I was going to give the Taiwan Pride parade a miss this year but your photos have inspired me to go again. The best eye candy on the planet and they are very co-operative to have photos taken of their stunning bodies ;)
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

It really does become addictive! Here's hoping the weather will be a bit better than last year with the light rain. When it's sunny and warm, the clothes come off and the Speedo and Aqux brigade are out in force!
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I notice this thread has been linked to a gaythailand thread. That is perfectly fine with me for this and any of my other travel posts. I hope some of the gaythailand members will be sufficiently enthused to go to this year's Parade.