If Its Not Hellmans Its Not Mayonnaise!

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Undaunted

If Its Not Hellmans Its Not Mayonnaise!

Post by Undaunted »

For those from the States on the east coast you are familiar with Hellmans mayonnaise. It is sold west pf the Mississippi under the brand Best Foods Mayonnaise. The same Best foods mayonnaise is marketed here in Thailand and is not expensive!
thaiworthy

Re: If Its Not Hellmans Its Not Mayonnaise!

Post by thaiworthy »

I do like Hellman's. I do NOT like Kraft Miracle Whip. That stuff is the most disgusting gunk ever invented. I did not know about the Best Foods branding, though. Thanks for the info.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Don't be fooled by the Best Foods mayo sold here in Thailand; it is not the same as Best Foods mayo sold in western US.

Also, Hellman's/Best Foods mayo, although my mayo of choice, is not the same recipe as it used to be. The USFDA got into the act and required them to change the oil they used. And then the recipe was changed again. Not the same as the original and not nearly as good, IMHO.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

lvdkeyes wrote:Don't be fooled by the Best Foods mayo sold here in Thailand; it is not the same as Best Foods mayo sold in western US.

Also, Hellman's/Best Foods mayo, although my mayo of choice, is not the same recipe as it used to be. The USFDA got into the act and required them to change the oil they used. And then the recipe was changed again. Not the same as the original and not nearly as good, IMHO.
During my childhood I ate Hellman's mayonnaise and bumble bee tuna almost every day.....Now I buy Select solid white tuna in water....mix it with best foods mayonnaise it is exactly the same thing!
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Well, Hellman's recipe had changed twice since I was a kid.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

lvdkeyes wrote:Well, Hellman's recipe had changed twice since I was a kid.
Maybe I have only changed once! :)
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Undaunted wrote:
Maybe I have only changed once! :)
I don't get your point.
jaafar

Post by jaafar »

I have always liked the Kraft "Real Mayo." Not that junk that thaiworthy mentioned, where they "improve" mayonnaise by adding gobs of sugar (yuck).

But I think that Real Mayonnaise Fans make their own. It only takes 5 minutes, you know. 8-) Egg yolk, mustard, whatever suits your fancy, plus a small amount of oil. Start up the machine you are using and dribble in the rest of the oil.

The only downside is that now you know that mayonnaise is basically pure oil. :roll:
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

If you are making your own mayonnaise you also need to add either vinegar or lemon juice (preferred). Also, don't make more than you will use in a day or two. Homemade mayo doesn't keep as well as the commercial stuff. That's why restaurants in most of the US are not allowed to use homemade mayo.