bread talk

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
lvdkeyes

Re: bread talk

Post by lvdkeyes »

This is the recipe, but I actually make 1 1/2 of this recipe to get larger baguettes.

BAGUETTE

• 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
• 227 lukewarm water
• 150 gm starter
• 418g Bread Flour
• 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt, to taste
• To make the dough: Mix everything together — by hand, to make a soft, somewhat smooth dough; it should be cohesive, but the surface may still be a bit rough.
• Place the dough in a lightly greased medium-size bowl, cover the bowl, and let the dough rise for 3 hours, gently deflating it and turning it over after 1 hour, and then again after 2 hours.
• Turn the dough out onto a lightly greased work surface. Divide it into three equal pieces.
• Shape each piece into a rough, slightly flattened oval, cover with greased plastic wrap, and let them rest for 15 minutes.
• Working with one piece of dough at a time, fold the dough in half lengthwise, and seal the edges with the heel of your hand. Flatten it slightly, and fold and seal again.
• With the seam side down, cup your fingers and gently roll the dough into a 16" log. Your goal is a 15" baguette, so 16" allows for the slight shrinkage you'll see once you're done rolling. Taper each end of the log slightly to create the baguette's typical "pointy" end.
• Place the logs seam-side down into the wells of a baguette pan; onto a lightly greased or parchment-lined sheet pan or pans. Cover them with a cover or lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow the loaves to rise until they've become quite puffy, about 1 1/2 hours.
• Towards the end of the rising time, preheat your oven to 450°F; if you're using a baking stone, place it on the lowest rack.

• Using a very sharp knife held at about a 45° angle, make three 8" vertical slashes in each baguette. Spritz the baguettes heavily with warm water; this will help them develop a crackly-crisp crust.
• Bake the baguettes — on the pan, or on a stone — for 25 to 30 minutes, or until they're a very deep golden brown. Remove them from the oven and cool them on a rack. Or, for the very crispiest baguettes, turn off the oven, crack it open about 2", and allow the baguettes to cool in the oven.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:if you're using a baking stone
I'm guessing you use a stone. If yes, what kind of stone are you using and where do you get it?

I've tried making baguettes before from recipes I've seen on YouTube, but they never come out any good. I had given up on trying. Now that I read your recipe I want to try again. I'm hoping your recipe and methods will work well for me.

Step one - I'm trying to make the starter.

lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Gaybutton wrote:I'm guessing you use a stone. If yes, what kind of stone are you using and where do you get it?
I have a baguette pan that I bought at Schmidt's. It is located on the first soi past Mike's Mexican Restaurant. I put parchment on the pan to prevent sticking and the mess of flouring it.

I do have a stone which is a piece of granite cut to the size of my oven. I know someone who had a problem with the granite leaching a sticky mess into the oven. I have not that that problem, but if you are concerned that it might happen, just wrap the stone with aluminum foil.