Changes Coming To Dongtan Beach

Anything and everything about Thailand
mahjongguy

Re: Changes Coming To Dongtan Beach

Post by mahjongguy »

There is no answer to why? that will really satisfy. The Jomtien Beach beautification project started at the police station and went left. This final phase goes right. It's not as badly needed but it was all slowly rotting away.

The info poster at the beach has few drawings and no real info. A new, slightly wider sidewalk that might have cement under it rather than just sand. A re-arranged parking lot. Lots of coconut palms shifted around. Hopefully a much improved storm drain.

The main part of Jomtien Beach looks a lot better with the hundreds of palms added. I hope the planting budget for the Dong Tarn section is similarly generous.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

mahjongguy wrote:There is no answer to why?
Around Pattaya that's typical - have to take 'no answer' for an answer . . .
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Gaybutton wrote:
Up2u wrote:The beach is now a construction zone.
You quoted my post, but you didn't address my question: Can the beach vendors, or anybody, tell us why this construction is even being done?
As mahjongguy mentioned, this is a phase of the Jomtien beautification project. Bigger storm drains, improved walkways, handicap access, etc.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

nynakedtop wrote:Can someone tell me please (in anticipation of a return trip in August) whether or not Tui's Guest House is affected by all of this?? Thanks!
I was there today and it appears that all the businesses are in operation, as usual.
martyinsiam

Post by martyinsiam »

From http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya ... ors-177207

Vendors now will be limited one 63-sq.-meter block of sand – instead of renting multiple 49-sq.-meter parcels – on both Pattaya and Jomtien beaches. Whether those vendors will be subject to annual lottery draws to keep their spaces – as proposed earlier – was not announced.

To keep the beach tidy, vendors will be barred from putting out chairs until requested by a customer. They also will have to remove all their chairs, umbrellas and other property from the beach Tuesday night and bring it back Friday morning.

Pattaya City Council Chairman Anan Ankanawisan and other board members informed the unhappy umbrella dealers of the final rules promulgated on military orders June 1.

The rules have not yet gone into effect and another meeting will be held at some point to consider appeals and changes.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

The vendors know they cannot speak out against this government and tell me it is us, their customers, who must express their displeasure. Call 1337 and see if they even listen. My section has been in business for many years and Rits even longer. Can you imagine coming here for your holiday and not finding your favorite vendor? This lottery system could be the end of the gay beach as we know it. Up to us speak up.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Don't know about the shopping mall thing, but the thought of non stop traffic going along the pathway would be the absolute death of the beach. Can't see it happening.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Up2u wrote:This lottery system could be the end of the gay beach as we know it. Up to us speak up.
Most other things gay have had changes do you think the powers that be give a damn about "the gay beach"?
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote:This lottery system could be the end of the gay beach as we know it
Why? The only thing that might change would be which concessionaires are running the area we have come to know as the "gay beach." As far as I know, there was never any kind of official establishment of a gay beach area. It simply happened, mainly because that's where a few of the first gay beach goers chose to go and it caught on. It established itself. I would think that any concessionaire would be happy to have customers no matter what their sexual orientation is.

Also, when you say "the end of the gay beach as we know it," as far as I'm concerned that already happened - a long time ago. For years now it hasn't been the gay beach I came to know. Because of that, not only can I not remember the last time I went to the beach, I cannot remember the last time I even thought about going to the beach.

Captain Kirk wrote:the thought of non stop traffic going along the pathway would be the absolute death of the beach. Can't see it happening.
We may all be a little premature here. I don't think any of us really knows what this is all about and I can't find a word about it in any of the local media.

If anyone gets information from a source we can accept as reliable, that's what we need.
Undaunted

Pattaya Mail: Big Changes Coming To Dongtan Beach

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"