Changes Coming To Dongtan Beach

Anything and everything about Thailand
daherk

Changes Coming To Dongtan Beach

Post by daherk »

Within the past few days there has been lots happening on the "World Famous Dongtan Gay Beach". Lines have been drawn in the sand, palm trees have been marked in red for removal and road construction signs have been put up on the brick walkway from the police box down the entire stretch of Dongtan Beach. I understand from folks in "the know" (how they know is beyond me) that the city will remove the current walkway and replace it with a wider walkway continuing the renovations the were done to beautify Jomtien Beach last year. If this work will be done by the same contractor as Jomtien Beach, I will welcome the change.

I have read nothing about this in the press. Does anyone know the plans for beautifying Dongtan Beach?
thaiworthy

Re: Changes Coming To Dongtan Beach

Post by thaiworthy »

They were measuring the walk Thursday as I walked past. Until I read your post just now, i had no idea why.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Considering Dongtan road is pedestrianized during the daytime, there is already adequate walkway capacity.

Actually, it must be one of the best walkways in Pattaya.
Wide, flat, no motorycyles parked across it, no street vendors, no sudden holes in the road & no water pipes ready to trip up unsuspecting pedestrians. Almost unique.

They could fix up virtually other pedestrian route in the town before starting on this one.
Dale1

Post by Dale1 »

There is a quite definitive rumor that the VERY large vacant land contiguous to and immediately north of Pan-Pan restaurant which goes from Thappraya Road all the way to Dongtan beach is to become a very large shopping mall ... the developers (who are the source of my information) are the same folks who have developed Siam Paragon, Emporium and The Mall in BKK ... I am told that it will be up and running within five years ... of course, traffic flow will be a major cause of concern ... thus it would not surprise me at all if Jomtien Beach Road -- rather than ending at the police post -- may just continue on north to become an access road to the new mall ... maybe a one-way exit road -- like Pattaya Beach Road ... thus, entry to the new mall could be from Thappraya Road and an exit along the beach. The traffic part of this post is conjecture on my part ... however, the shopping mall info is from what I consider to be an impeccable inside source ... but, like all Pattaya rumors, I will believe it when I see from my condo overlooking the land that first shovel of earth overturned.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

That's an interesting rumor for sure, especially if the mall includes a decent supermarket.

It seems to me though that the entirety of the open space is too big for a mall, and that the plot adjoining the beach would be more profitable for a condo (even though, per the Environmental Act, it will need to sit at the back of that section).

I also think the likelihood of getting traffic access from the beach is near zero.

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Sounds wonderful, but I wonder if it will be a + or a - for Jomtien Complex. If this rumor is real the developer and the retailers will have a lot of clout regarding what is going on in the area!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

Undaunted wrote:Sounds wonderful, but I wonder if it will be a + or a - for Jomtien Complex. If this rumor is real the developer and the retailers will have a lot of clout regarding what is going on in the area!
Sounds dreadful & like an absolutely horrendous piece of planning.

1 Ruin the nice quiet beach area with more traffic & pollution.
2 Build a shopping centre on the coast, where obviously none of the customers will come from offshore, so the place will be on the edge of it's catchment zone. Putting somewhere further in land would make more sense.
3 The roads already hardly move there during busy periods.
4 Is there demand for this ? There are units right by Jomtien beach on the corner, which seen to have never been occupied.
Dale1

Post by Dale1 »

Hi, Mahjongguy ... can you please tell me the source of your aerial photo ... with all of the white line delineations it does not seem to be a Google map. Thanks.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

I used a screen capture from the Google Earth program. You can toggle on/off the marking of streets, places, etc. I added the dashed red line between the major plots using Photoshop.
daherk

Post by daherk »

Today Dongtan Beach looks like a war zone. A wide swath of palm trees have been removed next to the walkway due to the widening project. The sand is all torn up and the holes where the palm trees were are not filled in. Tree removal is now beyond the "stinky toilet" and heading North. By the looks of the markers, the "stinky toilet" will be a thing of the past, maybe that's not so bad!