Taiwan report April - May 2017

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
fountainhall

Re: Taiwan report April - May 2017

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote:Which apps are your preferences when in Taipei?
Shared almost equally between Grindr, Hornet and Jack'd. I have not found much interest in Blued in Taiwan yet.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:Shared almost equally between Grindr, Hornet and Jack'd.
I'm surprised Planet Romeo is not among your preferences.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

It certainly used to be until about 18 months ago. Now there seem to be far fewer Taipei members.
a447

Post by a447 »

I was enjoying my visit to the National Palace Museum until I was completely swamped by mainland tourists who arrived in huge numbers, each group following the flag. They muscled their way in front of me and I found myself suddenly standing at the back, unable to see anything.

Frustrated, I wandered over to the Impressionist exhibition from the Musée D'Orsay in Paris but the same thing happened.

What really pissed me off was the fact that they weren't even particularly interested in the museum; they were focussing on their phones or just chatting.

Wandering around Taipei, the distinct lack of any kind of sexual atmosphere was surprising, quite different to the feeling I get walking around Pattaya or parts of Bangkok.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

a447 wrote:Wandering around Taipei, the distinct lack of any kind of sexual atmosphere was surprising, quite different to the feeling I get walking around Pattaya or parts of Bangkok.
I'm sorry a447 did not have as enjoyable a time in Taipei as I'm sure he hoped. As one who has several times expressed enthusiasm about the city, I have always added a caveat that its 'sexual atmosphere' is not like a Thai city. There is plenty of sex around but it is certainly not as 'in your face' as in Thailand. Then again, where else is? In my two long reports written in a thread here more than 3 months ago, I added -
fountainhall wrote:I'll end just by reminding you that Taipei is not Bangkok or Pattaya. You will need a bit of adjustment. But as suggested earlier, try and hook up with at least one Taiwan guy from the apps, on arrival or better still before you arrive. He will help you find your bearings more quickly - and no doubt more!!
Undaunted

View all Trip Reports With a Bit of Caution

Post by Undaunted »

I read most reports but only for thier sometime entertainment value, I always am aware that a report will be biased by the perspective of its author...If one wants to go somewhere and if you are seeking sex while on your journey best to read as many gay sites that are available such as Gayutopia etc....better safe than sorry!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
aussie

Post by aussie »

a447 wrote:Wandering around Taipei, the distinct lack of any kind of sexual atmosphere was surprising, quite different to the feeling I get walking around Pattaya or parts of Bangkok.
There were about 25 Thais aged between 20-30yo on my EVA Airlines flight from Bangkok to Taipei. They were traveling as a group for a labour hire company. Three looked really good. Maybe they should open a branch of Nature Boys in Taipei instead of working in a factory in the Taiwan countryside. That might get you back there more often :D

I have noticed female prostitutes offering their services outside some of the massage places near the Rainbow Sauna at Ximen on past trips. I have only ever been been messaged twice by Taiwanese money boys in all my visits to Taiwan. I am sure the local older gay Taiwanese have their ways of finding guys. It might be like Thailand where there are places for the locals to find sex that foriegners will never know about.
a447

Post by a447 »

Fountainhall, don't get me wrong -I actually had a good time in Taipei and am certainly glad I went.

I was aware that sex was not on offer like it is in a Thailand, so I went ahead with the trip with that in mind. I wasn't really expecting anything.

But still, I was just very surprised that I didn't see anything at all, apart from couples just sitting in the outside bars! Not even a gay couple on the street holding hands even though I was staying in the Ximen area.

The only guy I spoke to turned out to be a fraud. And, it appears, not even Taiwanese.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

a447 wrote: The only guy I spoke to turned out to be a fraud. And, it appears, not even Taiwanese.
a447 you need only consider the source. I always read your reports and the venues you speak about I often frequent as well, so if I see a report by you of some place I haven't been to I would be inclined to go the places you write about.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
ก้นconnoisseur

Post by ก้นconnoisseur »

fountainhall wrote:
Re Museums, have you been to the Taipei Museum of World Religions in the Yonghe District? Not a usual Museum subject but an interesting way to spend an hour or two.
Thanks for the recommendation fountainhall. I haven’t been to that one and looks like it’s very doable in an afternoon. There are several very small museums in Taipei and beyond.

On the map it looks fairly close to the Yingge Ceramics Museum in New Taipei City. I would definitely recommend this one if you are into ceramics (and even if not so much) and much more than the National Palace Museum (though if your are into ancient ceramics you will like that). They even give free pottery classes and mail you your creation after they kiln it. And the quaint street leading to it is full of ceramics shops and is interesting.

http://www.ceramics.ntpc.gov.tw/ceramics_en

One thing I really like about Taiwan is that museums are still very affordable. Most charge about US$1 to get in and many have free visiting hours (that is, except for the National Palace museum which has jacked up it’s prices due to the influx of mainland visitors). Very egalitarian and what museums used to be about.

The weather cooled over the weekend so I hope you got to make that hot springs visit fountainhall.