Pattaya-Hua Hin Ferry - FREE ride extended to January 31

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Pattaya-Hua Hin Ferry - FREE ride extended to January 31

Post by Gaybutton »

Alex wrote:Since you've mentioned taking your car, Gaybutton, what's the price for crossing with a car?
As far as I know the price is the same whether you have a car or not.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Gaybutton wrote:As far as I know the price is the same whether you have a car or not.
That sounds very unusual, but would be great.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Alex wrote:That sounds very unusual, but would be great.
That's as far as I know. I haven't checked. The only times I've ever been on a ferry in Thailand was the ferry to and from Ko Chang. I had my car then too. It never even occurred to me to check if there is a passenger-no vehicle price.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Ko Chang ferries charge per passenger and per vehicle, 80 baht per passenger and 100 baht for a car if I remember correctly. With that Pattaya - Hua Hin ferry having a much higher fare for passengers (1,200 baht?), it will be quite interesting to see how much if anything they will charge for a car.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

LKAsians wrote:a passenger ferry only????
No. It's passengers and vehicles. Think about it. If it was passengers only, why would they use a ferry boat?

See the video: http://www.thethailandlife.com/pattaya- ... ry-service
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Apparently the car ferry will be attempted next year. Right now, the sailing is passengers only.
Obviously there is a huge difference in the investment between a passenger-only boat and a car ferry. The former is not in that league.
My guess is that the owner(s) are testing the waters first with passenger-only before jumping all-in with the Queen Elizabeth, or something of that size.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Smiles wrote:Apparently the car ferry will be attempted next year.
Where did you get that information? I haven't found anything that tells when the car service will start.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:I'm glad to see some of you right there with the put-downs and assumptions.
I'm not making the wildest of assumptions here.
I've read they are cancelling due to bad weather, I've assumed that's correct, since it's rather rude to assume otherwise without good cause.
Yet the weather forecast shows the mildest of winds. Surely they should be running the service most days ? There seems to be no genuine reason to cancel, unless they have bought a particularly fragile boat.

So if they stop for wind when there is hardly any, I feel a put down is very much deserved. Also, if they do not run a reliable service, then they will struggle to build up any kind of regular customer base.

To be fair, 2 hours and a reliable service might just interest me.
What I can do is unreservedly recommend the Bell bus for those days when the wind is up to gale force 1 or more & the ferry doesn't run.
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Gaybutton wrote:
Smiles wrote:Apparently the car ferry will be attempted next year.
Where did you get that information? I haven't found anything that tells when the car service will start.
You've kind of got me on this one. Quite a long time ago (sometime in Nov. when this ferry story started to gel) I distinctly remember a link to a Web page which included snippets of a press release by one of the head dudes of the ferry company wherein he said walk-on first and hopefully a car ferry in the future if things work out.
Do you think I can find that link on either this board or Sawatdee, both of which have had large topics on-going regarding the HH/Pattaya ferry? Of course not!
I spent some time trying to find it, but cannot. Sorry, I wish I could. Alzheimers?
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Gulf Ferry Finally Gets Its Launch

by Chaiyot Pupattanapong

13 Feb 2017

Chon Buri: The Pattaya-Hua Hin ferry service was officially launched yesterday after a month's delay due to bad weather.

At Pattaya's Bali Hai pier in Chon Buri, the ferry service yesterday commenced its operation after its official debut was postponed from Jan 12 during last month's poor weather.

The ferry will run from the Bali Hai pier to Hua Hin's Saphan Pla in Prachuap Khiri Khan. The journey, covering about 113 kilometres, takes around two hours, much shorter than five to six hours by road, as the route cuts across the Gulf of Thailand.

The launching ceremony, chaired by Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith, also featured an activity, the Route of Glorious, which was attended by journalists and actors and actresses including Mario Maurer, Davika "Mai" Hoorne and Rinlanee "Joy" Sripen.

Mr Arkhom said the ferry project was aimed at linking water and land transport between the western and eastern Gulf of Thailand to promote tourism at seafront provinces along the Gulf.

Meanwhile, Marine Department (MD) director-general Sorasak Saensombat yesterday said the ferry service launch was regarded as a New Year's gift for Thais.

Mr Sorasak said the department is considering developing the project further by focusing on ferries which can accommodate both vehicles and people as well as exploring other sea routes, adding tourist centres will also be built.

The Pattaya-Hua Hin ferry service is operated by Royal Passenger Liner Co. The ferry is an air-conditioned vessel, named Royal 1, which is a large-sized catamaran speedboat with 286 economy seats, 44 business seats and two VIP rooms with eight seats each. The vessel has passed an safety inspection by the MD.

After the ceremony, more than 200 passengers from the media boarded the ferry to Hua Hin. Seahawk helicopters from the Royal Thai Navy provided security.

Story and photo: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... its-launch