Major changes for Pattaya baht bus system ?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Major changes for Pattaya baht bus system ?

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote:One has to ask wtf has it got to do with the Army?
The Army is now the mayor of Pattaya.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I have seen numbers on the front of some baht buses, which seem to correspond to the new routes.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:I have seen numbers on the front of some baht buses, which seem to correspond to the new routes.
Are hotels giving out route maps so tourists at least have some idea as to what is going on?

Also, is there a definitive answer as to whether fares will go up to 20 baht or remain at 10 baht?
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Gaybutton wrote:
gerefan wrote:One has to ask wtf has it got to do with the Army?
The Army is now the mayor of Pattaya.
No mayor? Didn't know that.

But surely these things are decided by some sort of council and then administered by the Army? I can't see how the Army are responsible for actually making such decisions.

Implementing them, yes
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote:No mayor? Didn't know that.

But surely these things are decided by some sort of council
See the following for details: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/ncpo-re ... -16-139384

It's the old story. Everything changes, but nothing changes. If it wasn't for the publicity, I would have no idea there was any transition. If anything has significantly changed, now instead of somebody's brother-in-law cashing in on some useless and/or unwanted project, or projects that ought to be taking place, but never do, it's somebody else's brother-in-law . . .
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

Jun wrote:ADDITIONAL routes seem like a fine idea, as long as big numbers are displayed on the front, so the intended route is clear.
I've never noticed any numbers on baht buses, but perhaps I need to look more closely.
Yes, a big number on the front, even better paint different lines in different Colors as it is done in many other places in Thailand. And distribute maps, or post maps on the stops, to Show the lines.

Current (2010-2016, as Long as I've been going to Pattaya) have line numbers and destinations (in Thai) printed on the side, however These lines and destinations have Long been abondend.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

Gaybutton wrote:
thaiworthy wrote:I usually can get to the Dolphin Roundabout for 10 baht then walk over to where another baht bus is going to the bus station for 10 baht.
Yes, but why bother going through that to save 80 baht?
For reasons of principle.80 Baht is two meals for me, why should i let someone scam me of 80 Baht if i know better? When I arrive at North Pattaya bus Station, I walk out and wait (can be five minutes) on NP road for a passing songtheo. If I'm lucky it turns to Beach Road, if it goes to Nakluea I have to Change at Dolphin Roundabout.

Next time I will see if I can get the regular rate with those waiting at the bus Station by speaking Thai to them.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

My favorite part of the article is the line that says, "the need to actually enforce the rules."

Enforce traffic rules? In Pattaya? Surely you jest.

The only rules I ever see enforced around here are the helmetless motorbike drivers and the occasional checkpoint to check for drugs and drunk driving. Any enforcement I ever witness other than those is rare.

No surprise: Baht bus drivers ignore military’s new rules

By Keng Na Songkhla

January 6, 2017

In what should come as a surprise to no one given Pattaya’s previous efforts to regulate baht buses, drivers simply ignored new military-issued dictates regarding routes and stopping zones when they went into effect Dec. 24.

As stern and serious as the generals made their new rules and penalties sound, baht bus drivers on Dec. 25 were carrying on as they always have, stopping and parking wherever they like and hitting unsuspecting tourists up for exorbitant rates for off-route rides.

The Second Road-Beach Road loop route was as disorganized as ever with many double-parking to grab fares, resulting in heavy traffic.

Long-time Pattaya residents were hardly surprised, given how miserably past campaigns to set bus stops and enforce traffic laws for songthaews have gone.

If the army is serious about reorganizing Pattaya’s chaotic public transport system, it will need to learn from city hall’s mistakes, especially about the need to actually enforce the rules, rather than just spout them in front of reporters.

http://www.pattayamail.com/news/no-surp ... les-160492
Jun

Post by Jun »

There are quite a few obvious moves to improve traffic in Pattaya.
Allowing the baht buses to charge 20 baht is the last thing they need to be thinking of, since even in the highest season there is usually an excess of them queuing up & creating an obstruction. The supply of baht buses does not need to increase, more likely it should be regulated.
Getting some buses, bus stops, bus lanes & cameras to ensure the bus lanes are free would be a good start.
Discouraging careless motoring by introducing parking restrictions, charges and effective enforcement would be another good step.

Of course, if there was competent governance, with law enforcement, good education & all the things that go along with that, then eventually the GDP of Thailand might converge with that of our own countries. Then the cost of living and er, entertainment etc, might also go up.
So all in all, I'm quite happy to keep visiting Pattaya exactly as it is.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:another good step.
The problem is those good steps are hardly ever taken. And when they are taken, they usually don't last long before everything is right back to the way it was.

Baht buses are a typical example. They talk about new rules. They publicize the new rules to inform us what those rules will be. They tell us all about how this time the rules will be enforced - and not just enforced, but rigidly enforced. They tell us when the new rules will go into effect. They announce that the new rules are now in effect.

And what actually changes? What is actually enforced? Nothing.

Those of you coming to Pattaya expecting to see baht buses picking up and discharging passengers only at designated stops, no more stopping just anywhere - including the middle of the street, seeing designated routes shown on all the baht buses, no more hiring a baht bus to take you to a specific location, and seeing the baht bus drivers complying with the new rules - forget it. Hasn't happened and I see no evidence to indicate that it's going to happen.