Thai Gay Movie: Sweet Boy (2016)

Anything and everything about Thailand
Trongpai

Thai Gay Movie: Sweet Boy (2016)

Post by Trongpai »

The release date is 21 July, 2016. I don't have theater locations yet. It's hard to tell from the trailer if it's going to be any good. All these boys in school uniforms being sexual has not gone down well with conservatives in Thai government in the past. We shall see....

I'm sure filming the boys in speedos at the water park was integral to the plot development :roll:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5002872/
thewayhelooks

Re: Thai Gay Movie: Sweet Boy (2016)

Post by thewayhelooks »

I'm sure filming the boys in speedos at the water park was integral to the plot development.
Of course it was. We wouldn't have movie without it. The eye candy phenomenon.
But as usual, I wonder 1) will the film have English subtitles and 2) will it be screened in Pattaya? Not particularly interested in travelling up to Bkk to see it.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

thewayhelooks wrote:will the film have English subtitles
Since the preview has subtitles, my guess is that it will.
thaifarang

Post by thaifarang »

Why in movies like this the guys and houses and their clothing, just the whole scenary looks much more richer than what life is like for the average Thai? This gives for outsiders a totally wrong view of Thailand. Most Thais do not live like this. Also in Thai commercials the actors live lives and live in homes which 95% of Thais can not relate to at all.
Doug

Post by Doug »

The last time I was at Pattaya Park water park there was not one Thai teen boy wearing a speedo. When was the last time you saw a Thai wearing a speedo except for the money boys on the beach....5 years ago...10 years ago?
thaifarang

Post by thaifarang »

Doug wrote:The last time I was at Pattaya Park water park there was not one Thai teen boy wearing a speedo. When was the last time you saw a Thai wearing a speedo except for the money boys on the beach....5 years ago...10 years ago?
Also true. But look at Thai commercials and movies: the people in these commercials and movies live a relatively rich live, live in nice looking homes, have nice clothes, etc. So totally unrepresentative. I wonder what the average Thai thinks when he watches tv and sees these commercials. 'Is this Thailand? I know no one living like this."
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

What does the average Brit think of this: Image

“Fitzgerald had said, ‘The rich are different from us.’ Hemingway had replied, ‘Yes, they have more money.’”
thaifarang

Post by thaifarang »

But in our commercials we see families, people we can relate too. They live in houses which resemble our own, they have nice clothes which resemble our own. Same with most movies. Yes of course we also have shows about rich people, like Downtown abbey. But you see there also the servants.

I have not much experience with Thai movies but the few I have seen are totally unrepresentative of society as a whole (the actors and scenary is much more richer) than Western movies, which are more represesentative of their own society. Thai commercials and movies are a totally different world for the average Thai. That does not go for most Western commercials and movies, which for the average Farang are not a totally different world.
colmx

Post by colmx »

thaifarang wrote: I have not much experience with Thai movies but the few I have seen are totally unrepresentative of society as a whole (the actors and scenary is much more richer) than Western movies, which are more represesentative of their own society. Thai commercials and movies are a totally different world for the average Thai..
What you are missing here is that they are entirely representative of the average middle class Bangkok persons societal life.

The boys that you meet in the bars are from Issan - so these movies are not representative of their life... But what about all the middle and upper middle class people that live in Bkk?

There are a hell of a lot of rich people in Thailand... most of whom are a lot richer than the average farang!

Also note that the boy in the movie is wearing a crucifix, so is most likely from a wealthy Catholic family (and there are a lot of those in Bkk too!)
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

I have also noticed in these type of Thai films that the families are Christian/Catholic. In another film, after the boy dies, he is buried, not cremated, in a Christian cemetery. Possibly the directors/producers don't wish to offend Buddhist values and therefore make these gay type of films with Christian characters?