Hippopotomus

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
firecat69

Hippopotomus

Post by firecat69 »

I really felt like a good cheeseburger and I had noticed this restaurant on the 6th floor of Central. Comfortable seating both indoors and out overlooking the sea. It says they are a French Steak Restaurant but they also have a few Italian dishes and Thai food. Lots of steaks on the menu but I went there for a cheeseburger and thats what I ordered.

Not cheap at 340 baht but it comes with choice of 2 different sauces and 2 sides. I got a baked potato and vegetables both of which were excellent. The burger was cooked perfectly as Medium and was delicious. Good bun and high quality meat and done on a grille just the way I like them.

They have an extensive menu and they do add tax and service as do many of the restaurants in Central.

I think it is a fairly new restaurant since my last trip 3 months ago and well worth a try in what I would say is the mid-range.
Up2u

Re: Hippopotomus

Post by Up2u »

This is a french chain restaurant that also has 2 Bangkok locations. Reviews have been mixed about the bkk restaurants primarily because of service issues. I will try this burger soon as I like great burgers. The best burger I have found in Pattaya by far is the Havana (Terraza) at the Holiday Inn.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

They were not very busy on a Monday and service was really good. They did seem to have plenty of staff but that can change especially if it takes a while for them to gain customers.

Might have to give Holiday Inn a try some day. Firehouse in BKK still might be my favorite burger in Thailand but this place was a close 2nd.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

firecat69 wrote:They were not very busy on a Monday and service was really good. They did seem to have plenty of staff but that can change especially if it takes a while for them to gain customers.

Might have to give Holiday Inn a try some day. Firehouse in BKK still might be my favorite burger in Thailand but this place was a close 2nd.
If you can mention Firehouse and Hippopotamus in the same breath then I am definitely going to give this place a try. Firehouse, Shuffle, and El Gaucho are my favorite burgers places in Bangkok. Your review is the first I have read even though I have asked questions about the Hippopotamus. Thanks.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

A friend and I went to the Hippopotamus and I agree with firecat69 about the cheese burger. Excellent burger, imported french beef, cooked as requested, delicious flavor. We both felt the side dishes didn't measure up to the burgers. I had fries (ok) and Au gratin potatoes which were not good. My buddy had a delicious blue cheese burger with fries and zucchini (which was not good). I thought the price was a good value just for the quality of the burger (note, a plus plus restaurant). Recommended.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Up2u wrote:Firehouse, Shuffle, and El Gaucho are my favorite burgers places in Bangkok.
I haven't eaten at the Firehouse. El Gaucho is excellent. I would give Shuffle a miss. I took one bite of my burger and about 1/4 of the meat fell to the plate. The taste was good, although not as good as El Gaucho, but having to eat my burger with a knife and fork is not my idea of a burger. I won't go back.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

So I saw a poster offering a Burger for 129 baht. Since I already thought the place was good, I could not resist . You get the Burger that is 259 baht on the menu, comes with 2 sides and 2 sauces. I added cheese for 30 baht and a can of Zero for 39 baht. Grand total ++ 233 baht. I think the fries are very good and agree the augratin is terrible.

Still hard to beat a quality meat Burger cooked as ordered with Bernaise sauce and 2 sides for the price. No idea how long this will last . Oh and outdoor seating is extremely nice and comfortable!

Since that is what sets cost you at BK etc, it translates to Great Value. IMHO