Where were you?

Gaybutton

Re: Where were you?

Post by Gaybutton »

Rogie wrote:There was a fascinating programme a few days ago on British TV about the Cuban Missile Crisis.
Since you brought it up, the best film I've ever seen about the Cuban Missile Crisis is 'Thirteen Days.'

pitrevie

Post by pitrevie »

I recall the aftermath and George Brown the deputy UK Prime Minister giving his reaction on TV and it was very obvious that he was pissed.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I was in the second grade, nine years old. School had let out and I was walking home along the school yard. A friend and neighbor, Bobby Quinn, same grade walking on the other side of the street yelled across the road, " The President was shot". He had no further information. Bobby convinced me that any moment now the Russians will be dropping nuclear bombs on us. We ran home at top speed and took shelter from the radio fall out. Duck and cover.

I then remember Bobby's mother telling us that President Kennedy is dead but we're safe. She then told Bobby that he had "permission" this time only to cry. It always struck me funny she said that. Neither of us cried or fully understood the significance of the event. My mother stood silent and said nothing.

Bobby went on to become a MIT professor of mathematics and just died of a massive heart attack last year. Our mothers have also died. I am the only one left.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Just today, November 20, 2013 - many Jack Ruby files that had been kept from public view were released for the first time in 50 years. See: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162- ... -50-years/