Brits and the English Language

TomUK

Re: Brits and the English Language

Post by TomUK »

Gaybutton wrote:Here's one of my favorite moments from Fawlty Towers.
These are also my favourite lines from the whole Fawlty Towers series:

German guest: "Will you stop talking about the war!"
Basil: "Me? You started it!"
German: "We did not start it!"
Basil: "Yes you did! You invaded Poland!"

... and all these farty towels.

I shall say this only once: There is also 'Allo! 'Allo! with the gay Lieutenant Gruber in his little tank and the famous painting of "The Madonna with the big boobies" by van Klomp.

Don't panic! Don't panic! But another of my all time favourites is "Dad's Army" - they don't like it up 'em.

When I look back over the last few decades I always think the best TV programs have been produced in my youth and nowadays the TV channels are filled with people who want to be famous without having any talent whatsover. This applies to British as well as German TV.

TomUK
bkkguy

Re: Brits and the English Language

Post by bkkguy »

TomUK wrote:When I look back over the last few decades I always think the best TV programs have been produced in my youth and nowadays the TV channels are filled with people who want to be famous without having any talent whatsover.
The BBC still had it together as recently as when they made Coupling and Queer as Folk - the USA had lost it well before they made Sex in the City and Queer as Folk! The only recent saving grace in the USA was Bea Arthur and how long ago was that?

bkkguy