The Gun Control Issue in the USA

Gaybutton

The Gun Control Issue in the USA

Post by Gaybutton »

In the wake of this latest school shooting, now the issue of gun control is in the forefront. I read one news article that pointed out there are more guns in circulation in the USA than there are people. That leads some to suggest the fact of so many guns supports the idea that gun control is not necessary - in that there are so many, but these shootings are so rare. I don't buy that argument at all.

I don't see why people going to their place of work, going to a movie, going to a restaurant, or going anywhere should have to even have the thought in their minds that they may not come out alive or uninjured. I don't see why a parent sending his child to school should have to worry that the child may not be coming home again.

Supporters of unlimited guns fall back on the US constitution's second amendment: A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

To me, those words do not mean regulation of what those arms are allowed to be is forbidden. By the logic of those who say there shouldn't be any regulation at all, then what would be wrong with people being able to own live hand grenades? How about a nice functional Howitzer on the front lawn? A nuclear bomb in the basement? Maybe a nice flamethrower for Christmas? After all, those are arms too, aren't they?

How about the cliché "Guns don't kill people. People kill people." Sorry, folks, but I don't want my life put at risk because of a slogan. Yes, people certainly do kill people, and we keep putting the weapons to do it with right in their hands. "Hydrogen bombs don't kill people. People kill people."

According to the arguments put forward by the anti gun legislation people, I have the right to arm myself in precisely the same manner as a soldier about to go into battle in Afghanistan.

I, for one, don't want to have to live that way. I don't want to have to be a gun owner in order to protect myself from other gun owners. I don't want schools have to become armed camps just to protect the lives of the students. I don't want movie theaters having to train their ushers in the use of firearms to protect customers trying to watch Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol. I don't want people's homes to have to become sealed bunkers. I don't want to have to wear a bullet proof vest so that I can take a walk at night and reduce the fear of being shot. When I die, I don't want it to be because I was killed by some criminal or nut with a gun.

Obviously, I'm in favor of gun control. Apparently, this school shooting is resulting in people wanting to bring the problem under control.

What do you have to say about it? If you are not in favor of gun control, why not? If you are in favor of gun control, what do you think can and should be done?

RichLB

Re: The Gun Control Issue in the USA

Post by RichLB »

I agree, the US needs meaningful gun control. However, the problem is, now that the genie is out of the bottle with over 300 million guns in circulation, how do you stuff that genie back in the bottle? If the country requires guns be confiscated, isn't it likely only the law abiding will turn them in and leave criminals the only people left with guns since they undoubtedly wouldn't comply? Legislation alone will most likely only exacerbate the problem. Unfortunately, the solution is bringing about a cultural shift and I have no idea how to do that.
Gaybutton

Re: The Gun Control Issue in the USA

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote:how do you stuff that genie back in the bottle?
You don't, but maybe part of the solution is preventing any more genies from getting out of the bottle. I don't think the USA is going to start forcing people into turning in their guns, but perhaps there are ways to prevent misuse of guns that are already out there.

Another thing I worry about - as technology progresses, gun technology progresses along with it. If nothing is done, what kind of guns are the nuts going to be carrying around 50 or 100 years from now? I believe there are more guns per capita now than there ever were in the old west. I'm not so sure in those days anywhere near the number of people really did go around packing six-guns as a typical John Wayne movie would have you believe.

The USA seems to me to be very consistent in telling us what we can't do. Other countries provide high quality health care, affordable to everyone. Why can't the USA? Other countries don't have the number of gun killings in a full year that some of the big cities in the USA have in one day. If other countries can do it, why can't the USA?

I hope the USA does something substantial about this and I hope it happens before the next incident. I have a feeling most of us believe this incident is by no means the last time it's going to happen. As things stand now, it's only a question of time until the next one.