Movie Recommendations

RichLB

Movie Recommendations

Post by RichLB »

I've just finished watching a movie recommended by a friend and realized that although I thought it was one of the best movies of its genres I've seen in years I would most probably never looked at it based on it's title. The movie was The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

That near miss made me think that there must be plenty of other non-promoted movies out there easily overlooked. How about we use this thread to give us movie buffs a heads up about them.

I'm sure it will be tempting to input a list of your favorites, but how about we limit each response to just one (or maybe two) particular favorites of yours which are not well known.
Gaybutton

Re: Movie Recommendations

Post by Gaybutton »

You know me and movies. I could easily provide a list of hundreds of them, but grabbing just two out of the hat, I'll go with:

1. Radio Days - Woody Allen's autobiographical comedy and nostalgic look at life in the 1940's and the connection with radio programs at the time. I think that is one of Woody Allen's best movies, but probably not so well known.

Here's the trailer from Radio Days:

And a film clip:

If you are interested, the entire movie is posted on YouTube.

2. The Enemy Below - This is one of my favorite movies, although not all that realistic. It's a 1957 movie with Robert Mitchum and Curt Jurgens. Mitchum is a destroyer commander during the second world war. Jurgens is a German U-Boat commander. The movie is a battle of wits between the two and the acting is excellent. I like it because it's fun to watch, suspenseful, and is a very good allegory about the stupidity and futility of war. This movie is also probably not so well known today.

Here's a film clip from The Enemy Below:

lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

One of the best movies I have seen recently is The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel starring Judi Dench, Bill Nighy and Maggie Smith.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Lincoln. Especially for Americans. Although Old Abe does tell a funny/off color story about an encounter between an American and an Englishman. Although our British cousins may think otherwise.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

windwalker wrote:Lincoln.
True, but RichLB asked for unknown or little known movies.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

Two movies I like and that are little known (as far as I know) are "No escape" (with Ray Liotta) and "About a boy" (with Hugh Grant).
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Well what about a movie with John Wayne starring as the Captain of a German ship during WWII? The name is The Sea Chase and it is an oldie but goodie.

RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Here's two more from my favorites but not well known. The first is The Man from Earth. It is a think piece and will generate lots of conversation from others who have seen it. The other is Latter Days - a movie exploring Mormonism and homosexuality. I loved both these very different movies.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Another of my favorites is Sordid Lives. It is a "black comedy about white trash".
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Anybody remember S.O.B. ?