"The Sky at Night" Astronomer Patrick Moore Dies at 89

Gaybutton

"The Sky at Night" Astronomer Patrick Moore Dies at 89

Post by Gaybutton »

I don't know how many of you are familiar with the long running "The Sky at Night." Patrick Moore has been an eminent astronomer in the UK for many years and his "The Sky at Night" program was quite popular. I rarely miss any of them and he continued doing these programs as long as he could - his most recent program broadcast only last week. I will greatly miss him and his programs.

Astronomer Patrick Moore Dies at 89

December 9, 2012

Astronomer Patrick Moore, renowned for his work mapping the Moon's surface and for having popularized his subject with the British public, died Sunday at the age of 89, friends and colleagues announced.

Moore, whose lunar research was used by both the U.S. and Soviets space programs, died peacefully at 12:25 pm at his home in Selsey on the southern English coast.

He had succumbed to an infection, colleagues said in a statement.

"After a short spell in hospital last week, it was determined that no further treatment would benefit him, and it was his wish to spend his last days in his own home," they said.

Besides his skill at explaining the universe, his monocle, wit, raised eyebrow and idiosyncratic style of speech endeared him to an army of space fans.

Moore fronted the monthly BBC program "The Sky At Night" from its launch in 1957 and still running today, making him the world's longest-running presenter of the same television show. His last programme was broadcast on Monday.

Full story, photo, and videos: http://news.discovery.com/space/astrono ... gn=rssnws1

Several of "The Sky at Night" programs can be found on YouTube.