Goodbye to Hostess Twinkies

Gaybutton

Goodbye to Hostess Twinkies

Post by Gaybutton »

Hostess Brands Closing for Good

By Chris Isidore and James O'Toole @CNNMoney
November 16, 2012

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Hostess Brands -- the maker of such iconic baked goods as Twinkies, Devil Dogs and Wonder Bread -- announced Friday that it is asking a federal bankruptcy court for permission to close its operations, blaming a strike by bakers protesting a new contract imposed on them.

The closing will result in Hostess' nearly 18,500 workers losing their jobs as the company shuts 33 bakeries and 565 distribution centers nationwide, as well as 570 outlet stores. The Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union represents around 5,000 Hostess employees.

"We deeply regret the necessity of today's decision, but we do not have the financial resources to weather an extended nationwide strike," said CEO Gregory Rayburn in a statement.

Full story and video: http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/16/news/co ... index.html
Jomtienbob

Re: Goodbye to Hostess Twinkies

Post by Jomtienbob »

America just got a bit healthier.

Perhaps a better bakery will pick up the void and expand. Pepperidge Farms?
gearguy

Post by gearguy »

Victim of Vulture Capitalist (think Romney and Bain):

If you wonder why Twinkies are going away, Start here:

Wall Street hedge funds and private equity firms own Hostess brands, and they took massive bonuses and payouts over the past eight years or so. They dumped the company pensions, unilaterally stopped making pension payments that would have totaled $160 million, and plan to pay themselves with the sale of the liquidated assets of the company. Their current CEO’s main credential for the job is his “expertise in corporate liquidations,”

http://news.firedoglake.com/2012/11/16/ ... e-economy/
Jomtienbob

Post by Jomtienbob »

It has just been reported that some Mexican investors are considering resurrecting the company.

Imagine the possibilities. Salsa flavored twinkies.
crabby

Post by crabby »

Twinkies on E-Bay going for $400 box!
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Just make them yourself.
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

Well, Crabby, people will pay large amounts for some of the craziest things in the interest of nostalgia. I took a look and was shocked to see some listed for thousands of dollars for a box of 10, with an auction close date at least two weeks past their "use by" dates.

I had to do some basic research to post the story about my Thai friend who liked them (a surprise to me in and of itself), and they don't have the half life we used to joke about. There were also a couple of dozen listings for boxes not much above their retail price, so I guess greed doesn't always rule the day.

If they really end up selling for $400 for a box of 10 I mailed a rather pricey shipment to my friend last Friday. My guess is they'll be back again soon, made by a different corporation.

Lvdkeyes has the best idea. I had a recipe for them a couple of decades ago myself, but it was done in layers. Tasted much the same, though.