Ok, lvdkeyes - here's your next challenge - Polish Kielbasa

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Ok, lvdkeyes - here's your next challenge - Polish Kielbasa

Post by Gaybutton »

Do you have a recipe? I'd love to be able to make my own Kielbasa if it's not too difficult. I don't recall ever seeing it for sale here.
lvdkeyes

Re: Ok, lvdkeyes - here's your next challenge - Polish Kielb

Post by lvdkeyes »

Here is a recipe that I have, but have not tried yet. If you make it, let me know how it turns out.

Kielbasa

casing
10 -12 lbs pork butt, whole pieces, not ground, fatty is good
3 -6 fresh garlic cloves
1 tablespoon garlic powder
4 -6 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon Accent seasoning
1 tablespoon white sugar
4 -6 tablespoons fresh ground coarse black pepper

Put the garlic through a garlic press or mince really fine. Put the seasonings into a small pot with a pint of water. Boil and then cool.

Meanwhile, cut the pork off the bone. Cut into strips maybe 1" by 3". Strips go through the grinder better than chunks. Don't trim anything off. If there's not enough fat, the kielbasa will be dry and hard. Put the meat into plastic dishpans, pour the cool liquid over, add about 4 cups ice cubes and mix together until your hands freeze. It should be kinda sloppy. If not, add more water or ice. Cover with plastic wrap and put in fridge over night to marinate so the meat soaks up the flavor. Stir occasionally. The ice will probably all be melted the next day before you make the sausage. The meat kind of absorbs the flavors.
Next day, take the casings out and soak in warm water for several hours; it makes them more flexible. Cut in 4 ft. lengths. Put the meat in the freezer for 1/2 to 1 hour before you start. The meat stiffens up a little and it's easier to put through the grinder. Stick one end of each casing on the faucet and run warm water through the inside of the casing.

Keep everything as cold as you can. Put a little oil on your hand and run it over the horn of the grinder where the meat will come out. Run casing through fingers to drain slightly. Put a casing on the horn. One person helps push the meat through the grinder while the other holds the casing while it is filling up. It kinda curls up as you hold it. It's better to hold it up while it's filling, less pressure on the casing. Make each one about 12-16". Tie it off with string. Some people twist it every 6" or so to make smaller sausages. If the darn thing splits, scrape out the meat, dump it back with the other stuff in the dishpan and start over. That's one reason for soaking the casings for a longer time, they don't split as easily.

Put the coils of sausage back into a clean dishpan (on a rack if possible) and put back into fridge to kinda dry overnight. Then pack them in ziplock bags and put the packages in the freezer. We make 2-3 lb. packages. If you have a vacuum sealer, use that.
The sausage is pale because it is not smoked. You can smoke it before freezing if you have a smoker.

You can buy more fat and mixing it in if the pork is too lean. Insufficient fat makes for dry sausage.

Oh yeah, the house smells for 3-4 days. But it smells good. If you like garlic. All the seasonings are to your personal taste. You really need a lot of salt though. The pepper as much as you like. Same with the garlic.

Use the plate in the grinder which grinds the meat coarse. It's better if the meat is a little chunky. You don't want a mealy texture.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

It seems complicated, but worth a try.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Let me know how it turns out.