Gay Hotel Beijing

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
fountainhall

Re: Gay Hotel Beijing

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote:How much experience do you have and what do you know - not guess, but know - about their culture?
Not just about culture, I think, but also history.

I'm sorry but it's really impossible to quantify. But I'll just give you some basic facts. I lived and worked in Hong Kong for two periods – 11 years till late 1990 and then again for 9 years from late 1992. I first visited Guangzhou in September 1979 just after the effects of the Cultural Revolution were dying away (many Mao suits in evidence) and Deng Xiao Ping was starting on his reforms. I have visited Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou so many times I have not kept count, the former two since 1985 and 1986 respectively. My travels have also taken me to Chengdu, Suzhou, Hangzhou, Harbin and Shenyang. I have Chinese friends in all three major cities, some of whom I meet virtually every year.

As to history, I immersed myself in the history of southern China from the landing of the Portuguese in Macau in the mid-1500s. Re China in general, my knowledge becomes more detailed from the time of Lord Macartney's Embassy to Beiiing in 1793. This failed so spectacularly that it ultimately led to the First Opium War and the gradual colonisation by many powers of large chunks of China's coastline, including Shanghai.

I admit my knowledge of the interior is scanty. But I trust the opinions of my Chinese friends who live in China, some of whom I have known for more than 20 years.

Is that enough?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:Is that enough?
Congratulations! You've convinced me . . .
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Whew! I thought you'd ask for more ;)
flossie

Post by flossie »

I’ve been to Beijing 3 times and Yunnan twice. One visit to Beijing was with a Thai boy friend, who enjoyed the trip. No problem with hotels. One trip to Yunnan was with a young Chinese friend – not gay. We shared hotel rooms on several occasions with no problem (in a homophobic atmosphere someone might have smelt a non-existent rat). I speak and read some Mandarin (but not a lot) and can use a Mandarin dictionary. So I’m not an expert but I know a bit about it.

Beijing has lots to see as mentioned by FH. It also has lots to eat – don’t miss the Beijing duck (there are a number of restaurants that do nothing else).

Despite the West’s appalling record (cf FH again) most Chinese are quite approachable and friendly. Language can be a big barrier though. There used to be (and maybe still is) an “English corner” in Beijing where you could meet locals wanting to practice their English.

Take a phrase book for restaurants with Chinese-only menus; you can choose what you want from the phrase book’s food section and ask if they’ve got it (you mei you – answer you = yes, mei you = no). Usually they’ll have whatever it is.

Beware of illegal taxis at the airport; I was conned into taking one on my last visit. The driver couldn’t take me to my hotel for fear of arrest and pretended to run out of petrol before we got there, hailing a legal cab to take me the rest of the way. If you book a hotel in advance they may send a car to meet you.

I can’t comment on GB’s problem with the tour groups in Pattaya, but I don’t think they have much bearing on your likely reception in China. And I don't know about the night life.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:Whew! I thought you'd ask for more
Actually, I do have questions about a trip to China, but I'll save those for a separate thread.