Republicans to become more Gay Friendly?

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
Gaybutton

Republicans to become more Gay Friendly?

Post by Gaybutton »

GOP friendlier to gay community -- at least behind the scenes

By Jen Christensen, CNN
Sat August 25, 2012

(CNN) -- Barbara Ann Fenton made what was for some a shocking suggestion at one of the most traditionally conservative meetings leading up to the Republican National Convention.

The 31-year-old delegate from Rhode Island formally suggested that her party's ideological manifesto recognize civil unions for same-sex couples as well as straight ones.

"As a Roman Catholic, there's nobody in this room who believes (more than I do) that the definition of marriage is between one man and one woman, but those are my religious beliefs," Fenton said as she made the motion Monday. "This country was founded on the separation of church and state."

She added, "For my own generation, a lot of times homosexuality is not the biggest deal in the world. And that's OK."

Many other controversial amendments were met with "crickets," as one Republican staffer said. Meaning, on those topics, there wasn't even a move to vote on the matter.

Fenton's initiative, much to her own surprise, was met with a resounding shout of "second" from not one, but from a couple of people in the room.

Full story: http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/25/politics/ ... index.html
Jomtienbob

Re: Republicans to become more Gay Friendly?

Post by Jomtienbob »

It will take a lot of change, perhaps a good start would be locking up their loons in asylums where they will be kept safely away from us, before this yellow dog Democrat will even consider voting for the Repugnican Party candidates.
NomadicDave

Re: Republicans to become more Gay Friendly?

Post by NomadicDave »

Here I go again by stepping in on the political front but this is just political babble. They are running from their actions and hoping nobody checks their voting record. The hypocrisy of the political discourse, by both parties, is just nauseating. Sorry for the rant.

Dave