Will "Curiosity" make it? 7 Minutes of Terror

Gaybutton

Will "Curiosity" make it? 7 Minutes of Terror

Post by Gaybutton »

"Curiosity," NASA's latest Mars rover - 10 years and billions of dollars in the making - is going to, hopefully, touch down safely on the surface of Mars. This is to occur on Monday, August 6, at precisely 12:31pm, Thailand time.

Nothing like this has ever been attempted before. If even the slightest thing goes wrong, then it's all been for nothing. But if it works, then scientists may finally get the answer to whether there is, or ever has been, life on Mars.

Gaybutton

Re: Will "Curiosity" make it? 7 Minutes of Terror

Post by Gaybutton »

Yippee! They did it! One of the most incredible technological achievements in history.

"Failure is not an option."
- Ed Harris (Gene Kranz), 'Apollo 13'

"It doesn't get any better than this!"
- Charlie Bolden, NASA Administrator - 12:47pm, August 6, Thailand time
jason105

Post by jason105 »

Amazing!
Watching all those scientific types leap, hug each other and scream with glee was great.
So many things that could have gone wrong, yet the landing happened just as they had planned.
History!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

jason105 wrote:Watching all those scientific types leap, hug each other and scream with glee was great.
I watched it as it happened. Here in Thailand, it all happened at 12:30pm, so for those living in Thailand, the timing worked out beautifully. I really got caught up in it. It was like watching a movie, but it was all the more exciting knowing this was no movie. It was real. And so much was at stake.

Unfortunately, those who missed it will probably see only short news clips and since they already know it succeeded, they won't get to experience the tension and excitement as I did. For those of us old enough to have seen the first humans on the moon as it happened, this was just as spectacular. When the technicians first realized it all had worked, that was one hell of a moment. I'm glad I got to see it. It's one of those moments I'll never forget.

Before living in Thailand, I used to live in Florida. I got to see space shuttle launches three times - up close. You can't even imagine what that is like. Television simply is not even close to capable of conveying what it's like to actually be there for the experience.
crabby

Post by crabby »

I am so excited about this. Supposed to last for over two years. Has a nuclear reactor on board to vaporize boulders and soil samples. We should learn a lot about Mars from this.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

crabby wrote:I am so excited about this.
There is an excellent video that really does a fascinating job of explaining what this is all about, what they hope to find, how they hope to find it, and what the information will provide:

bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

and then there was the distraction

"As the first images of Mars from NASA's rover Curiosity went viral across the web, so too did a 32-year-old NASA flight director from Pasadena, California."

'NASA mohawk guy' outshines Curiosity

bkkguy
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

A friend of mine had worked on a specific part of this landing craft for years, and was most relieved when it landed safely. When I talked to him today I was able to say "Hey, it isn't rocket science... no, wait... it IS". Here's hoping we continue to take a look at the universe off of our own blue marble.