The World's Best Airport Restaurants

Gaybutton

The World's Best Airport Restaurants

Post by Gaybutton »

Air fare: The world's best airport restaurants

By Tim Hume, for CNN

(CNN) -- Airport dining doesn't have to be terminal. A new wave of airport restaurants is elevating airport cuisine above the level of greasy burgers and wilting sushi, as celebrity chefs and regional food heroes bring their magic to the one-time culinary wasteland of the airport.

Many of the chefs involved are Michelin-starred, and their offerings rate alongside the finest restaurants in their cities.

The better restaurants that are located in the public areas of their respective airports, such as Hong Kong's Hung's Delicacies and La Moraga in Malaga, Spain, have become magnets for non-traveling locals, achieving the hitherto unthinkable by turning the airport into a foodie destination.

Across the industry, there is a broader recognition that many among the captive audience of travelers are looking for something more substantial than simply filling a hole in their stomachs, and would place a premium on quality food in stylish surroundings.

Industry awards such as those made by Skytrax include categories recognizing the best airport restaurant offerings. This year the top five awards went to Hong Kong International, London Heathrow, Munich, Singapore Changi and Amsterdam Schiphol, in that order.

Full story and photos: http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/30/travel/wo ... index.html
Trongpai

Re: The World's Best Airport Restaurants

Post by Trongpai »

They missed my favorite: http://www.yelp.com/biz/jim-neelys-inte ... -memphis-2

When I used to travel for business I would always ask for a Memphis airport stop-over just to have some real Memphis style BBQ. Once I missed a connection because I just had to have a pulled pork sandwich and a side of BBQ beans.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Trongpai wrote:When I used to travel for business I would always ask for a Memphis airport stop-over
I took a look and I think I found a better web site for your favorite: http://www.interstatebarbecue.com/

Two other great airport restaurants probably no one but me ever heard of are both in Florida. The Marathon Key airport and the Vero Beach airport. Neither are commercial airline airports. They're both general aviation airports. That's probably why their food is so good.

At the Vero Beach airport, their biscuits with sausage gravy is so good, Geezer might actually be convinced to make the trip if he knew how good it really is . . .
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

Gaybutton wrote: At the Vero Beach airport, their biscuits with sausage gravy is so good
aaahhh the joys of regional differences, I don't know that I could ever get excited about biscuits with sausage gravy but I suppose a traditional Oz "pie floater" would leave most American palates unimpressed as well!

but then you need to have experienced gay life in Oxford St in Sydney in the 70's and 80's - If you hadn't scored at the Patches or Tropicana you headed to The Wall to pick up a "friend" for the night then took him for a feed at Harry's - like taking a Twilight boi for a bowl of noodles, and if you had scored you still stopped at Harry's on the way home because the pies and mushy peas and gravy where better than sex!

aaahhh I am glad I still have my rose-coloured glasses to remember the good old days!

bkkguy
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

bkkguy wrote:
Gaybutton wrote:I suppose a traditional Oz "pie floater" would leave most American palates unimpressed as well!
You're probably right. I've never heard of it and have never seen it offered on any menus. At what airport restaurant is a good one served?
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

Gaybutton wrote:At what airport restaurant is a good one served?
the airport restaurant at Woop Woop would have been the most likely to have them on the menu :-)

usually however you get them from street food carts in Adelaide and Sydney - but while no Sydney Airport restauant has pie floaters on the menu there now are a number of popular "foodie" restaurants there if we need to bring this back on topic!

Actually I take it back - there is reference to a Harry's at the Domestic Terminal in Sydney serving pie and peas but I cannot confirm this personally!

bkkguy
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

An airport is a place where I begin or end an air journey, dining there is secondary (no, rather tertiary or quaternary). I don't care about Michelin Stars, before or during short flights (in Europe, 2 hours), I don't need any food, in long flights (Europe to Thailand), food is served on the plane. I vagely remember, I bought food in an airport one single time.

Acutally, it's a mystery to me why there are eateries and shops at airports, because I wouldn't buy anything there.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

There are eateries in airports because of some long layovers. Just look at how busy most of the restaurants are in most airports.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:There are eateries in airports because of some long layovers.
Also, since the airlines want you to check in a good two or three hours in advance, some people get hungry while waiting for the plane or prefer eating good food rather than the garbage most airlines give you - and that's when airlines give you anything at all anymore.