Ham

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
blue

Ham

Post by blue »

Happy Easter.

Here is how I am making simple ham at home. Basically it's the same recipe as making corned beef. I hope some readers would find this useful.

Home cured ham

¾ -1 kg fresh upper hind leg of a pig
3 c water
¼ c coarse salt
3 tbsp sugar
¾ tsp curing salt , which is 6% saltpeter
Pickling spice/cloves /garlic, optional

Place all of the above in a zip lock bag, let all the air out and sealed it. Keep it in the fridge for 5 days. Rinse and boil in water for 1 hr, or smoke, or glaze and bake per your recipes.

Breakfast suggestion: French bread, mustard, ham, scrambled egg, cucumber and tomato.

Shopping:
Pork: Big C Extra right next to ground pork, or cut per order at any outdoor market. 120-130B/kg.
Coarse salt: Thai natural salt, 11B/500g at Tops Supermarket. 14B at Villa when they have it.
Curing salt: 100B/kg at WWM Co Ltd, http://www.wwmco.asia/en/location.html
lvdkeyes

Re: Ham

Post by lvdkeyes »

When I want a good ham I order it from Villa. It is not cheap, but it is the best ham I have found in Pattaya. This is how I bake it:

1 (12 to 14 pound) uncooked smoked ham, bone-in
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup Cognac
Watercress, for garnish
Parsley, for garnish

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Wrap ham completely with parchment-lined foil and place on a rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan. Transfer ham to oven and bake 1 1/2 hours.
Unwrap ham; discard parchment and foil. With a large, sharp knife score fat in a diamond pattern, making the lines about 3/4 inch apart. Transfer ham to a large roasting pan.
Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and Cognac. Brush ham evenly with 3/4 of the brown sugar mixture and return to oven; cook ham 1 hour. Brush ham with remaining brown sugar mixture and continue cooking 30 minutes more. Transfer to a serving platter until ready to carve; garnish with watercress and parsley
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

Thank you...

Your sharing is much appreciated...
sure looks like there will be mighty good eating around your home at Easter :-)

Happy Easter!

tj
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

It's not clear who you were referring to, TJ, but I am not cooking ham this year, but rather I am cooking cassoulet.