Thunder storms and donor cards

Captain Kirk

Thunder storms and donor cards

Post by Captain Kirk »

I know, I know, an odd combination. Today's thunderstorm may be my fault as it does match my general demeanour with this being my last day in Thailand.
Thought it couldn't get much worse until I read the headlne "Dick Cheney recovers from heart transplant". Gutted. however it does illustrate perfectly the reason I do not carry a donor card even though I specifically wish to do so. The very thought of saving the life of such a rancid sewer rat as Cheney would have me spinning in my grave for all eternity.
I did one time approach my local MP when there was a campaign to get more people to carry donor cards. I explained that I did want to carry one but how can I be sure my organs would not save the life of a rapist, murderer, child abuser or politician. I asked if he could put forward a motion to allow room on the card for people to request exemptions from donating to certain groups. He said he had other priorities. Can't understand why it cannot be so.

The Cheney transplant would presumably have been done in half the normal time. No heart to remove just one to be added. What a damn waste.
christianpfc

Re: Thunder storms and donor cards

Post by christianpfc »

I once read somewhere (quotation needed) that signing as an organ donor is without restriction to possible receivers, the donation is unconditional. Either you donate to whoever is in need or you do not donate. At least in Europe, you cannot donate specifically to gender, religion, skin color or whatever.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

"When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction."
- Steven Wright
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Most likely donated hearts come from young healthy persons who died an accidental death, not from aged posters such as found here in Thailand. Nonetheless, the likelyhood of one's heart going to an unworhty recipent such as a rapist, murderer, etc is not probable, although Mr. Chaney is an example of a donated heart wasted. Many donated body parts are not organs, but bone and soft tissue which might save the life or relieve the suffering of some poor soul. Yes, am a card carrying donor and hope that my earthy remains are of some use to someone.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Honestly, I wouldn't care. Firstly because it will mean that I'm dead anyway, and secondly because it's a great way to gain lots of karma, especially if your heart goes to someone undeserving. It shows your generous nature and that you are willing to overlook and/or forgive peoples' little earthly flaws, like Dick Cheney's obsession with waging war for profit. May the gift of life make him a better person.

EDIT: Don't take the second argument too serious. I just don't think you should be allowed to be selective when terminally ill people desperately wait for donated organs and yours happens to be a match for someone, anyone.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Alex wrote: I just don't think you should be allowed to be selective when terminally ill people desperately wait for donated organs and yours happens to be a match for someone, anyone.
Agree Alex. Can you imagine if some donors put stipulations that their organs could not go to a gay or a man or woman or some other restriction.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Earlier I posted that most donated organs come from younger persons, but it seems that kidneys from healthy persons up to age 64 are quite satisfactory.