La Baguette

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

La Baguette

Post by Gaybutton »

If you're looking for a premium quality, top-of-the-line French bakery in Pattaya, La Baguette is the place to go. I had read about it, but only tried it for the first time this morning. Everything is made on premises and the selection of pastries, Danish pastries, sticky buns, desserts, breads, croissants, ice creams, coffees, sandwiches, and of course baguettes is outstanding.

You can eat in or take out. It's a charming, spotlessly clean place with staff who speak excellent English.

I'm going to let their web site do most of the talking: http://www.labaguettepattaya.com

I tried a plain croissant. It was right-out-of-the-oven fresh and it was perfect. I don't remember ever having a croissant half as good. I took home an apricot Danish. Once I got it home, it didn't last long. Also the best I've ever had.

The prices are reasonable too. It's a little bit more than you'll spend for similar products in most local grocery stores, but at La Baguette you really do get what you pay for. I also took home their baguette. 80 baht. In most grocery stores a baguette is about 30 baht, but you can tell just by looking at it that this is no ordinary baguette. I haven't tried it yet, but if its quality is anything like the quality of the croissant and Danish, it will be well worth the 80 baht. The croissant and Danish pastry selections are 45 baht each. The sticky buns are 50 baht. Most of the dessert items are 95 baht.

If you're in their area, give it a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed, even if you have to go out of your way to get there.
lvdkeyes

Re: La Baguette

Post by lvdkeyes »

Based on your recommendation we went there today for brunch. My bf has the chicken green curry crepe. He said is was very good. I had the Benedictine crepe; a version of eggs Benedict with ham, cheese, smoked salmon, and boiled quail eggs. It was very tasty, but lacking the Hollandaise sauce as listed on the menu. Then my bf has blueberry Danish and I had an almond croissant. Delicious! My bf had water to drink and I had coffee which came with a small jug of hot milk, rock sugar on a stick and a small piece of delicious milk chocolate. It was a little pricey with water being 45 baht and coffee being 75 baht. Total bill was 665 baht. The service was efficient, but not very friendly. Would we go back? Yes, but not often.

I checked the price of plain croissants on the way out - 45 baht. At La Boulange on Third Road they are 21 baht and very good.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:At La Boulange on Third Road . . .
I'm not familiar with La Boulange. Where on Third Road is it located and what can you tell us about it?
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

La Boulange is a French bakery, mainly for croissants and baguettes. It is between Pattaya Klang and Pattaya Nua on the west side of the road.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:It is between Pattaya Klang and Pattaya Nua on the west side of the road.
At that location, I've probably passed it hundreds of times and never noticed it. I'll definitely be stopping in next time I'm in the vicinity.

With all the complaints about Pattaya, I've never been in any other city in my life that offers such a diversity of food and restaurant choices, all within such close proximity of each other. I really enjoy trying new places. Even when I'm disappointed I still enjoy at least having tried. And when the new place turns out to be a winner, that's yet another one for my list.

Velasco: I'll take you to the Four Winds Restaurant.
Paul: "Oh, isn't that the wonderful new Chinese restaurant in Manhattan I've heard so much about?"
Velasco: "No. It's the Albanian restaurant on Staten Island."
- Robert Redford (Paul), Charles Boyer (Velasco), 'Barefoot in the Park'