Mamma Mia

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
lvdkeyes

Mamma Mia

Post by lvdkeyes »

Today after the movie three of us ate at Mamma Mia on the 3rd floor in Central Festival. The other two had lasagna for 180 baht. The portion was small, about 3- 4 inches square. Both sent it back to be warmed. Both said the flavor was "OK". I ordered spaghetti puttanesca. The portion was very small. I would estimate it was no more than 80 - 100 gr. for 250 baht. When I first complained the waiter just walked away. When another waiter came by, I once again complained that the portion was very small (I hadn't taken a bite) and there was no cheese. He took it away and returned with cheese and a bit larger portion. He said, "This is not expensive. I worked at Pan Pan for 18 years. They charge 350 baht." Pan Pan's portions are much more generous than this place. Small bottle of water was 45 baht. The charge 10% service charge, which normally I don't object to, but the service was nothing more than taking the order and delivering the food. No smiles and indifference and surliness in response to complaints. We all agreed it would be our last time there.
Undaunted

Re: Mamma Mia

Post by Undaunted »

Pan Pan is certainly not inexpensive, however the portions are large and IMHO the Jomtien location has the best Italian food in town and remains consistent year after year! For those that enjoy wine they have a great corkage policy, bring as many bottles as you like and you are charged one single charge of 250bht.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

lvdkeyes wrote:Today after the movie three of us ate at Mamma Mia on the 3rd floor in Central Festival. The other two had lasagna for 180 baht. The portion was small, about 3- 4 inches square. Both sent it back to be warmed. Both said the flavor was "OK". I ordered spaghetti puttanesca. The portion was very small. I would estimate it was no more than 80 - 100 gr. for 250 baht. When I first complained the waiter just walked away. When another waiter came by, I once again complained that the portion was very small (I hadn't taken a bite) and there was no cheese. He took it away and returned with cheese and a bit larger portion. He said, "This is not expensive. I worked at Pan Pan for 18 years. They charge 350 baht." Pan Pan's portions are much more generous than this place. Small bottle of water was 45 baht. The charge 10% service charge, which normally I don't object to, but the service was nothing more than taking the order and delivering the food. No smiles and indifference and surliness in response to complaints. We all agreed it would be our last time there.
Evidently you missed my review here about this place or you never would have wasted your time!! It is a disaster.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Undaunted wrote:Pan Pan is certainly not inexpensive, however the portions are large and IMHO the Jomtien location has the best Italian food in town and remains consistent year after year! For those that enjoy wine they have a great corkage policy, bring as many bottles as you like and you are charged one single charge of 250bht.
Have not been to the one in Jomtien in quite some time. However the Beach Rd location and the one in Central Plaza are not much better then Mama Mia!!!

I f you want really good Italian food where the chef is at your table asking how you like the food then read my review of Don Joe on Walking Street.

http://gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php? ... ant#p37654
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

firecat69 wrote: Evidently you missed my review here about this place or you never would have wasted your time!! It is a disaster.
Yes, I did miss your review. I still can't find it.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

All you have to do is search for it. Not that hard to do.
http://gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php? ... mia#p32180

And whats even funnier you replied to my post !!!
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Well, that was in July. I have rebooted my brain many times since then. I wish I had remembered your review. It is consistent with our experience.

My search was unsuccessful because of our different spelling of the name of the restaurant.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Have not been to the one in Jomtien in quite some time. However the Beach Rd location and the one in Central Plaza are not much better than Mama Mia!

I've tried the place you mentioned on beach Rd. but it was years ago, I do recall it was good, however I've never been to any of the Pan Pan restaurants other than Jomtien, and I've lost count of how many times I've been there over the years and have yet to be disappointed.