Burma

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
Gaybutton

Burma

Post by Gaybutton »

Has anyone been to Burma lately? I haven't seen any posts about the gay scene in Burma in quite some time. Can anyone out there provide information about the current Burmese gay scene? Where are the best places to go? How much is expected by the boys? Where are the best places to hook up with the boys? Are the hotels gay friendly? Are there gay bars?

If anyone has been to Burma recently, please tell us what you can.
christianpfc

Re: Burma

Post by christianpfc »

I have never been to Burma, but in January I met a German who went to Burma. He told me that the people there are very friendly, and that he could have had any boy, but Burmese are not allowed to to go with foreigners (the hotel policies do not allow it, and they are enforced, and the Burmese only talk to foreigners in public places, but cannot invite them to their homes or come to their hotel rooms, as they are afraid the police will question them later).

I can only report what my friend told, but believing him your question sounds like a joke.
pong

Post by pong »

this is partly true. Lately PHima=Burma=Myanmar has seen an enormous influx of Chinese, just like the Laos and they also come to get to know Burmese ladies.
Have any boy you see-quite unlikely. There is still enorous fear of being seen with potential rebellious whites amond many circles.
SOME quite well-known Yangon=Rangoon hotels allow local guests. Males are likely to arouse a little less suspicion as ladies.
There is a small, but well-known meeting/rental boys spot at evenings in RGN-this city shuts early and is dead in the real night-close by to the big market, crossing with footbridges-a rarity in Burma. These men/boys will know where you can go to. There is no set ''fee'' price or whatever-but some present is to be expected. In RGN there is some bushes/fields in suburbia known as a meeting place for locals late afternoon-somewhere near/behind the uni. It is rumoured that it is in+out and that is all in the odd minute. Burmese are more like rabbits and not renowned for great sex-as the Thai are.
in some massageshops more will be available-just like in Thaild.
I had good luck in some beerhalls, that sell draught lager and also serve simple meals (burmese food is horrible-they did Thai style fly lice), you share tables and any whitey is bound to attract attention. There are also-in RGN- hi-so cakeshops etc-all with overloud and horrible house-style music, which act as meeting places for local well-off tweens. (for the PC: these tweens are thus somehow regime-related, as otherwise they would have no money).
All in all Burma made me remind a lot to Indonesia-the customs, the people, the dress, the eternal smoking, the decrepit state and crappiness of so many things and the autocratic regime (of Suharto years). Be aware that in the west nearly all news is from the regime-opposed Karen/Shan ''liberation'' and they are pretty good at painting a picture of eternal repression etc-do like my nurseryschool teacher and always ask; so what did YOU then-if Johnny comes crying that ''X hit me''.
There is also said to be a kind of gay festival once a year near Mandalay- but that is more of a NAT=spirit celebration. An other board has a long thread about that.
fedssocr

Post by fedssocr »

Just saw this thread.

I spent a little over 2 weeks in Burma in November. It is well worth a visit for the history and culture. The tourist infrastructure is not great, but I think they will work to improve it. Apparently this high season was quite busy with lots of the upper and mid-range hotels full. The airports were certainly crowded but there are 5 or so airlines serving the main sites (mostly with ATR-72's) so there seem to be enough seats flying. You need to pack your patience for sure as things aren't on a strict timetable and things can change at the last minute with airline schedules.

The people are very friendly. I was there right before Hillary's visit and people were excited about that. Despite what you read, people were also very interested in talking about politics and the government (unsurprisingly no one likes it). And in my opinion the young men are stunning (but don't age well).The men and boys are extremely affectionate with each other which can really throw off your gaydar. And they wear those longyi which really show off their asses well.

I did the "Big 4" of Yangon, Bagan, Mandalay and Inle Lake plus Sittwe and Mrauk U. I met a group of sweet university boys in Sittwe who wanted to practice their English on me. One of them was flirting with me very hard. If I didn't have a plane to catch I think that could have led to even more fun. My guide in Yangon was a really nice gay guy. He mentioned to me where the "red light district" is in Yangon, but what he really meant was "cruising spot". Supposedly downtown on a square or other. I didn't go there but it apparently exists.

There is certainly not any Thai-style gay infrastructure, so I'm afraid I can't answer most of your questions. It is a place to go to for the historic sites, not for cheap and easy sex.

There are definitely some stupendous tourist attractions. Shwedagon Pagoda in Yangon is fantastic. Bagan is one of the most amazing places I have ever visited. Inle Lake is quite nice and a cool change from the heat everywhere else.

It was definitely a nice trip despite some mishaps. I would happily return there.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fedssocr wrote:I'm afraid I can't answer most of your questions. It is a place to go to for the historic sites, not for cheap and easy sex.
Maybe you can answer these two: Along with the historic sites, if you do find a young gent who wants to go with you, are there any problems about bringing him to your hotel? What's the going rate?
fedssocr

Post by fedssocr »

no idea, that was not the purpose of my visit and I didn't ask. Not sure who I would have asked really. I got the impression that the cruising spot was not commercial from what he told me, but I didn't go there so I can't say for sure. I doubt there would have been much issue bringing some one to the hotel as long as they looked presentable, but there were surveillance cameras around the place I stayed in Yangon. Not so much in other places.

The placed I stayed in Mrauk U had at least one guy on staff who was clearly gay. Fingernails painted blue, VERY friendly. If he had been cuter in my opinion I might have tried something. :-) But there may have been some communication issues. The one guy working there who I did think was very cute was also friendly but he didn't give me that "look" like fingernail boy did.

Like I said, you don't go to Myanmar for a sex holiday in my opinion...especially when that is so easy in Thailand.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fedssocr wrote:Like I said, you don't go to Myanmar for a sex holiday in my opinion...especially when that is so easy in Thailand.
I agree that would not be a reason to go to Burma, but if you're going to be there anyway and if sex is available, why not?
ozboy11

Post by ozboy11 »

Gaybutton wrote:
fedssocr wrote:Like I said, you don't go to Myanmar for a sex holiday in my opinion...especially when that is so easy in Thailand.
I agree that would not be a reason to go to Burma, but if you're going to be there anyway and if sex is available, why not?
Some of the best sex holidays I have had have been in non sex holiday destinations (Laos being the best example. I had the boys fighting over me in luang prabang).