a mixed bag of eating out reviews.

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
patexpat

a mixed bag of eating out reviews.

Post by patexpat »

Over the past week or so we have eaten out at many of our favourite restaurants, but many of them seem to be struggling to keep up the quality at the moment, perhaps due top the influx of Bangkokians, but for the record:

Lan Bai in Jomtien ... a cheap and cheerful restaurant that is usually good value. I had fish, my bf had pork steak ... both arrived undercooked and inedible.

Sizzler in Central - tend to go there before the movies. Very busy. And they could not have got my order more wrong! I ordered beef steak, med to well done, baked potato and burgundy/mushroom sauce. What arrived was Beef steak, VERY rare, french fries and pepper sauce. In fairness they corrected the mistake as soon as it was pointed out and I received a complimentary fresh portion of french fries in addition to my baked potato! But of course my bf had finished his main course long before mine arrived!

Rice and sticky rice on Sukhumvit was up to its usual standard - very enjoyable not to mention the cute waiters!

Bistro Oscar (Poseidon) in Jomtien Complex. We really enjoy this restaurant, but last night we were the only ones dining at around 9pm, although another couple came in later. The starters were OK, although I thought the smoked salmon on my bf plate looked a bit meagre, but adequate. We both ordered pork steak for the main, and both our steaks were raw in the middle - not good for pork! We sent them back, and after 15 minutes fresh steaks appeared that were correctly cooked BUT the kitchen hadn't bothered to keep the veg warm whilst they redid the steaks .. so the veg and sauce was cold. At over B2,000 for 2 inc some wine it was a very disappointing experience.

Aquarius - Jomtien Complex. The popularity of this restaurant seems to wax and wane, not sure why as it serves consistently 'nice' food and the service and waiters are very friendly and pleasant. The only time I have been disappointed here was on a visit about a month ago when they had no potatoes, only french fries! A restaurant with no potatoes? Hopefu;;y a one off.

Ok, feel better now after letting it out! The negative experiences were burning away in side of me .... which is more than can be said for the undercooked food I've been experiencing recently!
Trongpai

Re: a mixed bag of eating out reviews.

Post by Trongpai »

patexpat wrote:Over the past week or so we have eaten out at many of our favourite restaurants, but many of them seem to be struggling to keep up the quality at the moment, perhaps due top the influx of Bangkokians, but for the record:....................
It's the flood....and not just in Pattaya.

I have been noticing the same problem, especially under cooked food--really undercooked, in both Chiang Mai and Bangkok. Some places have had to close up until things get back to normal.

I spoke with the owner of Trajai in Bangkok this week and he told me he can't leave the kitchen for more than a few minutes as there are some new cooks. The regular ones are back home busy with their flooded homes he told me. He said, leave them alone for too long and every thing comes out wrong. He looked exhausted.