Prescription glasses

Anything and everything about Thailand
Pattayamale

Prescription glasses

Post by Pattayamale »

Last time I bought progressive lenses and a frame in Pattaya it cost me almost 30,000 baht (almost $1,000) at Beautiful Optical. In less than a year one of the lens was losing its tint and looked scratched.

So this year I bought a pair of progressives including frame for less than $150 on line at http://www.eyebuydirect.com. I have received them and am very happy with them.

First I went to Pattaya Bangkok hospital and told the optician that I need a full prescription to order glasses. He did a thorough exam and wrote out a prescription.
I then went online to eyebuydirect and entered the information from the prescription. I choose a few extras like ultra thin lens, uv coating, and also the frame. Ordering the frame was the hardest part since they have so many to chose from. Also you need to measure the arm of your original glasses. In less than 2 weeks they had been delivered to my friend in the USA. He sent them with other medications I had via FEDEX. So from date of ordering until I received them was 2 weeks.

I thought I might have to go to a local shop for them to fit the frame, but I did not. They fit fine and I can see much better than than the $1000 pair I bought at Beautiful optical.
Pattayamale
Living happily
puan

Re: Prescription glasses

Post by puan »

Yes, Pattayamale, have used this vendor also and do recommend.

Also, I have used Zenni Optical (http://www.zennioptical.com) and the great thing about them is they ship directly to me here in Thailand.
I recommend them also. Quick, good service, and good quality.

Pattayamale, I sent you a PM.
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

There are a few others like goggles4u and optical4less. If you sign up to both for promotional emails they sometimes have really good offers (goggles4u particularly). I ordered a pair of progressive lenses in a frameless frame for my mother and she's been very happy with them - I think they cost around US£60 ~ US$90. You can pay with Paypal so you've got that potentially helpful intermediary in the event there's an issue.
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

Decades ago an opthamologist friend of the family told my parents that optician shops had been overcharging people for w-a-a-y too long. His advice was to have them made at a shop where prices were reasonable, but added that wherever you had them made it was important to bring them by his office and have them checked to make sure they'd been made to the specs of the original prescription - something they did without charge.

What amazes me is that people will pay an additional $100 more for a pair of frames just because they're made by FooFoo LaRue or someone.
puan

Post by puan »

Just received new pair of prescription frameless glasses...cost $27.00 usd from Zennioptical.com .
I have used them in the past. Still good prices, good quality and good service delivered to me here in Thailand.
Highly recommend.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

I have ordered a few pairs from them, regular plus sunglasses and been very satisfied. After receiving my first two pair, I realized that for progressive lenses, I needed a much bigger (height) lens for easier reading - at the very reasonable cost, no financial burden in ordering another two pair. If ordering from Thailand, the glasses ship from Hong Kong. They advise by email when they ship and the tracking number for Hong Kong Post, also works for the Thai post tracking system.
ก้นconnoisseur

Post by ก้นconnoisseur »

Pattayamale wrote:
First I went to Pattaya Bangkok hospital and told the optician that I need a full prescription to order glasses. He did a thorough exam and wrote out a prescription.
Can I ask you, what did they charge for the exam?

bao-bao wrote:
Decades ago an opthamologist friend of the family told my parents that optician shops had been overcharging people for w-a-a-y too long.
I completely believe this. I had to start wearing glasses about 10 years ago and I’ve never been able to understand how they can charge so much money for a few wires or plastic and some screws and glass.

I’m overdue for a new pair so thanks to all for the suggestions.