Water

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Water

Post by Jun »

Barry Kenyon wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:37 pmThe situation could soon be made worse by the threat of water shortages, caused by lack of rainfall, and also by the prospect of more passengers arriving at U-tapao airport near Pattaya
Could someone enlighten me on the water supply situation ?

Why are there trucks moving water into Pattaya ? Pipes are far more efficient.

There seems to be plenty of investment pouring concrete for roads & railways.
Where's the corresponding investment in reservoirs, canals & pipelines to supply water ?
Gaybutton

Re: Water

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:47 pm Could someone enlighten me on the water supply situation ?
So far there are no shortages that I know of and none reported. No statements or warnings issued by the provincial water department. No rumors of shortages, rationing, or anything else.

That is so far. Whether it will stay that way remains to be seen.

I've noticed a few water trucks around town, but I have no idea where they're taking the water other than to a few areas where broken pipes that have not been repaired for ages have deprived locals of running water. But that has been the case for a couple years already.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I was more interested in the medium and long term picture.

Why even have water trucks, when pipelines are a superior way of transporting water ?
Then, why not correctly size reservoirs ?

There is plenty of other infrastructure investment ongoing. Oversized railway stations. Roads & more roads. Airports in places with questionable demand. So why not fix the basics first ?
KeithAmbrose

Post by KeithAmbrose »

Depends on the brown envelopes available!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:43 pm why not fix the basics first ?
I think you know the answer to that one as well as I do. It would make sense, something that doesn't seem to happen very often around here . . .

Also, apparently they would rather spend the money tearing up roads and repairing them when they were perfectly good and were not in need of repair in the first place.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I would have thought tea money could be collected off the back of a water construction contract just the same as a road or rail contract. Nevertheless, I suspect you're right, for some reason or other.

As for water trucks, I see them around. I have even seen them delivering water to Jomtien Complex during bar hours. Surely the Complex would have a piped water supply ?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:45 pm I suspect you're right, for some reason or other.
If I am, then I wouldn't be surprised if by chance it has to do with someone's brother-in-law pocketing a lot of money . . .
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

I guess the general population does not drink tap water (from pipes) and the trucks carry water that is fit for drinking?

(I got into the habit of drinking tap water everywhere in SEAsia and China without ill effect. Only in India I refrained from drinking tap water, but used it for brushing teeth and washing fruit.)
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

christianpfc wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:18 pm and the trucks carry water that is fit for drinking?
I would stick to bottled water if I were you. I don't drink the tap water and even the locals usually drink bottled water.

The last water I would trust would be the water coming from the trucks. They don't all necessarily get their water from the same source and I have no idea what those sources are. I'll shower with it, do my laundry with it, and clean up after my dog with it, but drink it? No way!