Pattaya Record Temperature

Anything and everything about Thailand
gerefan

Pattaya Record Temperature

Post by gerefan »

I see that Pattaya reached a record temperature (since 2012) of 38.4 today 21 April at 2.47 pm.

According to this website.

http://www.pattayaweather.net/Pattaya-Records.html
Gaybutton

Re: Pattaya Record Temperature

Post by Gaybutton »

And the "real feel" temperature is even hotter than that. I hate to think about what my electric bill will be this month, but thank goodness for air conditioning.

Also, there has been virtually no rain. I'm getting a bit worried about the possibility of another water shortage. So far nothing has been mentioned about it in the news. Fingers crossed whether we'll make it to July when the Thailand rainy season begins.

No end in sight for this heat wave.
Jun

Post by Jun »

For comparison, the highest temperature recorded in Thailand was 44.1C in Udon Thani. I presume living on the coast has some benefits.

The highest temperature recorded in England was 40.3C in Lincolnshire in July 2022. Today, the temperature where I live is forecast to reach a MAXIMUM of 7C, which I would happily swap for the 38.4C in Pattaya.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Jun wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:35 pm
The highest temperature recorded in England was 40.3C in Lincolnshire in July 2022.

I remember that day. What impressed me most was that the Met Office forecast it a week before and not only got the date and time right but also forecast the temperature to within 0.1 degrees.

I went for a walk that afternoon but it didn’t feel like Thai heat. Probably because the humidity was lower.

Also it only lasted a day (less the run up) unlike Pattaya where it’s been 34 C or more every day since I arrived in early December and left mid March. I’d had enough heat!!

That’s a total of over 4 1/2 months to date!
Montree

Post by Montree »

My Thai boyfriend is staying near his mother in Ratchaburi at the moment. He says on that side of the country the heat peaked last week and has droped a bit now. He bought a cheap inflatable paddling pool for the local children in the village. He returns to Bangkok next week and hopes for some rain to cool things down.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

"Hello Parson. Welcome to Hell"
Lee Marvin (Ben Rumson), 'Paint Your Wagon'

No letup, more hot days ahead

April 24, 2024

Weathermen warn that temperatures could soar to new highs between Friday and Tuesday, with the wet season not due to start until the third week of May.

Somkuan Tonjan, director of observation at the Meteorological Department, said on Wednesday morning that the heatwave would continue throughout Wednesday and Thursday under the influence of southerly and southeasterly winds.

From Friday through to Tuesday next week, he said, westerly and northwesterly winds would reach the North, Northeast, Central Plain and the East, with high temperatures that could break records set in 2016 and 2023.

A record 44.6°C was measured in Mae Hong Son province on April 28, 2016, and again in Tak province on April 15, 2023. Both provinces are in the North.

This year's high to date is 44.2°C, in the northern province of Lampang on Monday this week.

From May 1-3, westerly and southwesterly winds would arrive and signal a seasonal change. The wet season should then start in the third week of May, slightly later than normal, Mr Somkuan said.

Along with the extremely hot weather, demand for electricity set a new high on Monday night of 35,830 megawatts.

Dr Jurai Wongsawat, assistant director-general of the Department of Disease Control, said that 30 people had died of heat stroke in Thailand this year.

She advised people to avoid long exposure to strong sunlight and alcoholic beverages, regularly drink water and refrain from leaving anyone, especially children, inside vehicles parked outdoors.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... days-ahead

Pattaya and upper part of Thailand experiencing extreme heat this week

by Pattaya Mail

April 24, 2024

Thailand is experiencing extreme heat, with some areas in the southern region experiencing thunderstorms. Bangkok and its vicinity are also experiencing intense heat in some areas, with a 10% chance of thunderstorms.

The Thai Meteorological Department forecasts low air pressure due to the heat covering the upper part of Thailand, resulting in generally extreme heat across the country with cumulonimbus clouds during midday. The public is advised to take care of their health due to the extremely hot weather and avoid prolonged outdoor activities.

Furthermore, there are southwest winds covering the Andaman Sea and the lower southern region, along with east winds covering the Gulf of Thailand. This causes some areas in the lower southern region to experience thunderstorms. Sea waves in the Andaman Sea may reach about 1 meter high, and in areas with thunderstorms, waves may exceed 1 meter. Boat operators are advised to proceed with caution and avoid sailing in areas with thunderstorms.

Additionally, from April 24 to 25, west winds from Myanmar will pass through the northern and upper parts of Laos. Combined with the southwesterly winds and southern winds covering the upper part of Thailand, this may lead to summer storms in some areas, characterized by thunderstorms, strong winds, and possible hailstorms.

Bangkok and its vicinity will generally experience hot weather, with cumulonimbus clouds during midday and intense heat in some areas, with a 10% chance of thunderstorms. The minimum temperature is expected to range from 28 to 30 degrees Celsius (82 to 86 F), while the maximum temperature is forecast to range from 37 to 41 degrees Celsius (99 to 106F).

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattay ... eek-458960
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Today, April 27, is the hottest day I can remember in Thailand. As of 2:30pm, the current "real feel" temperature is 50°C - 122°F. That's halfway to boiling. I hope my air conditioner doesn't break down . . .
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Weather predictions in Thailand are not exactly noted for accuracy, but most of the time they do get it right about temperatures. We'll see.

High temperatures to linger until end of April

by Onnucha Hutasingh

April 28, 2024

The Thai Meteorological Department (TMD) warned the temperatures in Thailand may keep rising until the end of this month, before the weather will later improve because of the onset of the rainy season.

The TMD has forecast that from April 28 to May 7, temperatures in Thailand will remain high.

From April 28 to May 2, hot weather will prevail due to low chance of rainfall, except for around the Andaman Sea area in the South, it said.

The wind direction will start to change from May 3 to 7, with the appearance of rain clouds in the Northeast and the East. Temperatures will then moderate.

The department said Thailand's summer normally runs from mid-February until mid-May.

Considering that tropical zones receive perpendicular rays of the sun, Thailand – which is located near the equator – will fully receive the sun’s rays at noon, especially this month, with heat covering the country and pushing temperatures up to more than 40 degrees Celsius.

From May to October, the southwest monsoon will hit the country and cause the increase of rainfall, which can help reduce the overall temperatures.

The temperature may also not be high in September due to rainfall and humidity.

On Sunday, the highest temperatures in the north ranged from 39 to 44°C, while temperatures in the northeast ranged from 42 to 44°C.

Temperatures in the central plain was measured at 39 to 44°C and the east ranged from 35 to 42°C.

In the southern region, temperatures ranged between 35 and 41°C in the east, while the western side ranged from 35 to 38°C.

Temperatures of around 35 to 42°C were detected in Bangkok and its adjacent provinces.

Seree Supratid, director of the Climate Change and Disaster Centre at Rangsit University, on Saturday posted on his Facebook page that overall temperatures in Thailand will rise until the second week of next month, before dropping in June.

Mr Seree noted that global temperatures will continue to rise due to the use of fossil fuels.

The country may also encounter 18 tropical storms from May to October, he added.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... d-of-april
________________________________________________________________________________

Thai Meteorological Department Debunks Rumors of ‘Hottest Weather Crisis’ Until September

By Kittisak Phalaharn

28 April, 2024

On April 27th, 2024, the Thai Meteorological Department publicly revealed a case where Thai netizens spread rumors and warned of “Thailand’s hottest weather crisis until September”.

The Thai Meteorological Department explained that summer typically begins in mid-February and lasts until mid-May, two and a half months. During this time, the Earth was closer to the sun and the sun was directly overhead, especially in April, when the sun was almost directly overhead in Thailand around noon daily, resulting in full exposure to sunlight.

During summer, wind directions varied and were often accompanied by low pressure due to the prevailing heat, resulting in relatively hot and humid conditions, with average temperatures exceeding 40 degrees Celsius.

However, as the rainy season began from mid-May to mid-October, the southwest monsoon prevails, bringing moist winds to cover Thailand. These winds helped dissipate the hot air and generally led to increased rainfall, which in turn helped to lower temperatures.

Therefore, in September, which marked the end of the rainy season, heavy rainfall was common in almost every part of Thailand. The average temperature was not particularly high due to the rain. The situation of extreme heat crisis in Thailand was therefore unlikely to occur until September, according to the Meteorological Department.

https://thepattayanews.com/2024/04/28/t ... september/
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:57 am Weather predictions in Thailand are not exactly noted for accuracy, but most of the time they do get it right about temperatures
Is predicting hot weather in Thailand in April difficult ?
It's up there with predicting that January & February will be mostly dry and that it will rain more in September.

The level of insulation in houses in Thailand probably isn't optimum for such temperatures.

When you have 40C outdoors and are trying to achieve 25C indoors, that's 15C temperature difference. No different to trying to maintain 20C indoors whilst it's 5C outdoors in a cold country. Except the properties in cold countries are usually better insulated.