"Big Day" for Songkran water splashing in Pattaya - Friday, April 19

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: "Big Day" for Songkran water splashing in Pattaya - Friday, April 19

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:05 amA few videos are appearing online.
Silom looks quite busy & it's good to see some people displacing the traffic for a change.

I didn't see many people over 40 participating. Obviously I wasn't looking for that, but it's fairly obvious.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

As I've said, this year I am remaining on "The Dark Side", but the goings on where I am are a good indication of what is happening in the city and Jomtien.

On "The Dark Side" major traffic and major water splashing has already begun. Today is April 18 and it will be much more intense today. Tomorrow, the 19th, is the "Big Day" and that's when the MAJOR major traffic and water splashing will be. If all goes as usual, it will all end the night of the 19th for another year. But will the splashing really be over?

However, the length of the Songkran holiday this year is unprecedented, meaning it lasts a full month. I do expect the water splashing this year to be history by the morning of the 20th, but maybe not. Whether is will really be over or continue, at least in certain locations, remains to be seen. But locals do have to commute to work and those from out of town have to return home. By the 20th I think most will have had enough of it. We'll see.

If any of you are in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Samui, or wherever in Thailand you happen to be, if you get a chance, please tell us what is happening where you are.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Jai and I just returned from our routine annual Songkran visit in Buriram and as always the celebrations and water-splashing stopped on the 16th. There was no indication that Songkran was going to be extended in Buriram this year at all.

It seemed a bit toned down from previous years due to the immense heat...where the most popular places to be were in the airconditioned shopping malls. Plenty of smiling shirtless boys traipsing around in their soaked boxer shorts on the 15th...no disappointment there - but again, no one even mentioned the fact that there was an extension in place.

Tomorrow of course is the Big Splash Day in Pattaya which I'll avoid (been there-done that) - but looking forward as always to the one day Wan Lai celebration in Bang Saray on the 20th where the town will be packed with revelers from neighboring Pattaya, Sattahip, and of course the smiling locals.

Splish-Splash!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger et al in Thailand. If you have any photos, please post.

Oddly enough, yesterday, the 17th, there was a lot of water splashing happening on "The Dark Side", but today none at all. I haven't managed to figure that out, but there it is. I'm certain tomorrow, the 19th "Big Day" there will be all kinds of water splashing everywhere in Pattaya, including "The Dark Side".
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:10 pmDodger et al in Thailand. If you have any photos, please post
Also, if all the expats want to hide indoors, how about some material shot from your balconies with a good zoom lens.... ;)
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thailand Announces Total of 287 Deaths in the ‘Songkran Seven Days of Road Safety Campaign’

By Goongnang Suksawat

18 April, 2024

A total of 2,044 road accidents, with 2,060 injuries and 287 deaths, were reported on Thursday (April 18th) by the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) in the ‘Seven Days of Road Safety Campaign’ during Songkran (April 11th – April 17th) 2024.

The province with the total highest fatalities was Chiang Rai with 17 deaths.

The total highest number of accidents was also Chiang Rai with 82 and the highest number of injuries was Phrae with 80 injuries.
There were 28 deaths, 224 road accidents, and 224 injuries in total reported on the seventh day (April 17th) of the campaign.
Most were caused by excessive speeding (45 percent). About 81 percent of the accidents involved motorcycles. Most road accidents occurred on highways (42 percent) between 5:01 P.M. to 6:00 P.M.

https://tpnnational.com/2024/04/18/thai ... -campaign/
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

TPN National wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:37 pm Thailand Announces Total of 287 Deaths in the ‘Songkran Seven Days of Road Safety Campaign’

There were 28 deaths, 224 road accidents, and 224 injuries in total reported on the seventh day (April 17th) of the campaign.
287/7 = 41. Well below the daily average of 55.

Only 28 deaths on the seventh day must be a record LOW number. About half the daily average.

Another safe Songkran!
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:10 pm I'm certain tomorrow, the 19th "Big Day" there will be all kinds of water splashing everywhere in Pattaya, including "The Dark Side".
I am one of those that bunkers in, although I did go out for some grocery shopping on the 17th at the GO Wholesale store on Sukhumvit. As I expected, no water splashing on this "in between" day from traditional dates in Thailand and that in Pattaya and surrounding cities. I did see two small children beside the road with a bowl of water, but with no traffic to throw it on (this was in the Hua Yai area where I am now living since March 1).

As for today, the "Big Day," last night my Thai family removed the back bed cover on my pickup and loaded a big barrel which they were filling with water in preparation for today. Same as last year. They will go out to "enjoy" the fun while I am happy to stay home. On the 13th, the first traditional day, they along with some other relatives did the pouring of water over my hands and feet - which they have done the last two years for me and prior to that before he passed away for me and my Thai partner (their close relative).
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

TPN National wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:37 pm The province with the total highest fatalities was Chiang Rai with 17 deaths.
They were probably driving with the windows down and died of lung pollution... :o
Jun

Post by Jun »