Where have we heard THIS before . . . ?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Where have we heard THIS before . . . ?

Post by Gaybutton »

Anyone holding their breath about how the outcome of the discussions are going to improve the traffic problems?

The only solution I can see is finding a practical way of keeping so many cars from entering the areas where the most traffic jams occur - and along with that a solution to the parking problems. For instance, large parking areas outside the city with free shuttle buses running to and from the most popular destinations - with no more than a five minute wait between buses - and a solid incentive to use such parking areas rather than driving into the city. Perhaps additional free passes or discount certificates given to people using the parking areas.

Maybe use the railroad line to run free service, or very inexpensive service, from Bangkok to Pattaya and shuttle buses at the railroad station. Maybe incentives for that too.

In my opinion the only way to at least put a major dent in the traffic problems is to give people a true incentive to use alternate transportation. I think that would work much better than deterrents. I would think most people driving cars to Pattaya from wherever have already had their share of frustrating experiences - massive traffic jams and lack of places to park anywhere near where they're trying to go, not to mention going through more massive traffic jams when trying to leave, but that doesn't seem to be deterrent at all. They know what they're in for, but they come in their cars anyway.

Unfortunately, I don't foresee such ideas ever to happen.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

It may sound a bit anal but "Health & Safety" were two of the things on the top of my long list of factors to consider when determining where to retire.

As much as I loved Pattaya things like air and water pollution, noise pollution, and risk associated with driving and navigating around town on foot were a few of the things that tilted the scales in favor of a place like Bang Saray.

I still love Pattaya...visit at least once per week...and wouldn't be content being too far away, although my choice to reside in a cleaner and safer place was the best decision I've ever made with no regrets whatsoever,

I imagine a day will come when they do something meaningful in Pattaya to improve the things we're talking about - but it won't be in my lifetime making it totally irrelevant to me.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:13 pm In my opinion the only way to at least put a major dent in the traffic problems is to give people a true incentive to use alternate transportation. I think that would work much better than deterrents.
I think they need both decent public transport AND deterrents for cars.
For anyone who has a car, it's far too easy to drive into town.

A programme of enhancing public transport combined with increasing charges for parking and closing some roads to motorised vehicles could help.

Of course, the police mafia don't even enforce the existing parking restrictions, so there is an obvious problem that needs fixing before any policy changes.
For example, Pattaya Tai has prominent signs advertising the odd and even day parking restrictions, which are totally ignored.
Zero enforcement. My hypothesis is the drivers don't stand next to their cars all day, so all the police can do is issue parking tickets, rather than their preferred solution of collecting bribes directly. Perhaps the audit trail makes converting a parking ticket into a bribe too difficult? Can the Pattaya residents enlighten me?

I'm also not entirely sure what the purpose of an odd/even day restriction is. You just end up with a 3 lane road, without even having any consistency in the direction of the lanes. Converting lanes for pedestrians or public transport use would make far more sense, but even that needs enforcement.

In practice:
1 Intelligent policy isn't even on the agenda
2 They can't enforce any rules that are introduced

So keep enjoying what we have
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:34 pm Perhaps the audit trail makes converting a parking ticket into a bribe too difficult? Can the Pattaya residents enlighten me?
I don't know what they do with motorbikes, but with cars they lock the wheels. There is no way to get them unlocked until you go to the police station and pay the fine. Then the police station sends a message to the officer who locked the wheels to now unlock them.

Jun wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:34 pm I'm also not entirely sure what the purpose of an odd/even day restriction is.
That makes two of us, although you might change "is" to "was" or even "never happened" because it was largely ignored from the start. Just another ridiculous scheme that accomplished nothing, even during the first two weeks or so when it was actually enforced. Even then hardly anyone paid attention to it.

I always wonder who comes up with these schemes and actually manages to convince the city powers-that-be to do it. My favorite current inanity is the lane divider put in place for the whole of Thepprasit Road. As far as I can tell, now the traffic problem is even worse and driving that road is more dangerous because now the lanes are too narrow.

Schemes are not going to solve Pattaya's traffic problems. They're either going to have to start tearing down buildings and widening the roads or do whatever it takes to prevent so many cars driving and parking within the city - and I don't believe we're ever going to see any of that actually happen. I think all we're really going to see is more schemes that won't work.