No alcohol days 2024

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

No alcohol days 2024

Post by Gaybutton »

There may be changes to this, so this list is by no means engraved in stone. For example, the Move Forward Party is pushing for allowing alcohol sales even on Buddhist holidays. Also, no alcohol days do not always mean the bars will close. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't unless ordered by the police to close. However, on no alcohol days if the bars are open they most likely will sell only non-alcoholic drinks. Enjoy your Shirley Temples . . .

Of course, any changes will be posted.

Don't forget, on no alcohol days stores, grocery stores, convenience stores, etc. usually are not allowed to sell alcohol, so you might want to buy any alcohol you want a day or two before the ban. Hotel bars and hotel restaurants are often exempt from these bans.

Don't forget, Alcohol sale hours in Thailand are 11:00am – 2:00pm and 5:00pm – midnight. At the time of this post those hours are still in effect, but there is a push to eliminate those hours, so there may be changes. The rationale for no alcohol sales between 2:00pm and 5:00pm is that's the time schools get out, so the powers-that-be think those "no sale" hours will prevent teenagers from buying alcohol. I wonder if the powers-that-be know what "fat chance" means . . .

Jun

Re: No alcohol days 2024

Post by Jun »

Not only do they stop Alcohol sales on Makha Bucha day, but since that falls on a Saturday, there is a holiday on the Monday and they also stop alcohol sales on that day.

Can anyone explain that one to me ?
Having an additional holiday on the Monday makes sense, so the voters get the same number of holidays every year.

However, having a second alcohol ban increases the number of days when bars & such businesses need to shut. This does not make sense.

I presume it's been like that for years & this is the first time I've noticed.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:57 pm I presume it's been like that for years & this is the first time I've noticed.
I don't remember any alcohol bans for that holiday other than on the day itself. What I find interesting for 2024 is on that Saturday and following Monday, no alcohol. But between those days is Sunday - and apparently alcohol is just fine on that day.

I don't know who comes up with these rules. For religious holidays, my guess is the chief monks impose, or at least recommend, the alcohol bans.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Just for info, in Cambodia, bars were open and selling alcohol on Makha Bucha day, 24 Feb, as confirmed by my on the ground research.
A Lao friend in Pattaya tells me that the bars in Laos don't close for it either.

He also tells me that his bar in Jomtien closed and the Walking Street bars opened at midnight on 25 Feb.