Et Tu Big Joke?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Et Tu Big Joke?

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:34 pm
Jun wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:02 pm The only way that works and funds all the houses would be if he's on the take like the rest of them.
That's interesting. You're saying a man on the take is also on the give . . .
Call it investing, with the intention of earning a return.
Why else would he spend the money ?
How would he even have the money in the first place if getting by only on a police salary ?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:30 pm How would he even have the money in the first place if getting by only on a police salary ?
Apparently he doesn't have to get by only on his salary. Seems he has legitimate access to all the money he wants.

"Pol Gen Surachate said the money he spends comes from his wife, the daughter of Bancha Panitchapong, a billionaire transport and property tycoon in Songkhla, his home province."
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

A base salary of 78,000 per month?? That’s 2600 baht a day, Presumably after tax. It is not even doing 2 “offs” a day!!

78000 baht a month is the equivalent of £21272.

I know Thai salaries are lower than ours but some peoples pensions are more than that!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:51 pm I know Thai salaries are lower than ours but some peoples pensions are more than that!
Think about the salaries the lower ranks get. I can understand why they would want to supplement their paltry salaries by being on the take. But then again, nobody forced them to become police officers, but it must be terribly difficult for them to resist temptation, even if they want to be honest cops. So, even when I'm stopped for some frivolous reason, which happens maybe once or twice in a year, and have to fork over 400 or 500 baht to be on my way, I don't really mind very much.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Seems to me somebody is out to get Big Joke or at least destroy his reputation and scandalize him. But who? And why?
Maybe it really is a set of unacceptable violations, but I see it as trying to turn molehills into mountains. If Big Joke thought he was violating anything, legal or ethical, number one I don't think he would be doing it and number two I don't think he would be dumb enough to make a point of publicly saying so.

Still, the old saying is "The fish wouldn't have been caught if it hadn't opened its mouth."

Big Joke might have been better off with simply the announcement that nothing illegal had been found at his residence and just leaving it at that without further comment. If he had handled it that way, the incident already probably would have been forgotten. I believe his mistake was making a major brouhaha out of it and causing to matter to escalate.

Watchdogs to probe deputy police chief 'Big Joke'

September 29, 2023

Seven media ethics regulators are launching a joint probe into the suspected largesse deputy national police chief Pol Gen Surachate Hakparn, also known as Big Joke, offered to four reporters.

The seven organisations issued a joint statement on Thursday, calling the offer of money to a news source and its receipt by a reporter unacceptable.

They are the National Press Council of Thailand, the News Broadcasting Council of Thailand, the Thai Journalists Association, the Thai Broadcast Journalists Association, the Society for Online News Providers Association, the National Union of Journalists and the Confederation of Thai Journalists.

In the joint statement, they said the largesse amounts to a flagrant violation of the professional code of ethics.

The organisations said they will form a fact-finding panel to look into ethical issues stemming from Pol Gen Surachate's offer.

The panel will comprise seven members -- two each from the National Press Council of Thailand, the News Broadcasting Council of Thailand and the Professionals of Broadcasting Council of Thailand, as well as an outside expert.

They also called on employers to probe reporters at the centre of the scandal and report the results to the public.

News agencies should stop buying news from freelance reporters who violate media ethics, according to the ethics regulators.

They said reporters who pocket ill-gotten gains from illegal businesses will be prosecuted.

Earlier, the deputy police chief admitted to paying four reporters for coverage.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... f-big-joke
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

They're after him again.

Big Joke confirmed suspect in 'Minnie' gambling case

by Wassayos Ngamkham

February 21, 2024

Deputy national police chief Surachate "Big Joke" Hakparn is a suspect in an online gambling case and could face multiple charges including money laundering, a deputy chief of the Central Investigation Bureau (CIB) confirmed on Wednesday.

Pol Maj Gen Charoonkiat Pankaew said that Pol Gen Surachate was one of five police officers additionally suspected of involvement in the online gambling network allegedly operated by 25-year-old single mother Suchanun Sucharitchinsri, also known as Minnie.

The five suspects were identified in a second case, after an expanded investigation into the first case involving Minnie-related gambling websites.

According to Pol Maj Gen Charoonkiat, there are 61 suspects in the first case, which is the main case, and they include police officers.

The second case was sent to the National Anti-Corruption Commission because it involved high-level police officers. The NACC will later decide if it will handle the second case, or let the police do it.

Pol Maj Gen Charoonkiat said the police would like to handle both cases because they were related.

The five officers in the second case would be initially charged with malfeasance and taking bribes, under Sections 157 and 149 of the Criminal Code. If the NACC returns the second case to the police, the five will also face money laundering charges, Pol Maj Gen Charoonkiat said.

He denied the legal action arose from politics within the Royal Thai Police. It was the result of a continued investigation which "shockingly" revealed the involvement of police officers, with more than 300 million baht in cash also involved, he said.

"When more than 300 million baht was seen in transactions, this could not be let slide. Otherwise, it would be a cancer that would ruin the reputation of the police force," Pol Maj Gen Charoonkiat said.

He said that investigators had enough evidence to pursue the case, including financial statements which showed who withdrew the money and the groups of people who received money from mole accounts.

"When the money trails were examined, we found that money was distributed to almost everyone involved in the cases... I believe that money might come from not only the Minnie gambling website network but also other websites. This is under investigation," Pol Maj Gen Charoonkiat said.

Pol Gen Surachate was one of the candidates for possible promotion to national police chief last year. Pol Gen Torsak Sukvimol got the job. At the time, Pol Gen Surachate said he still had eight years before retirement and he was in no rush.

Pol Gen Surachate became a household name after being assigned several high-profile cases and regularly holding press briefings on arrests. He recently opened a centre at the Police Club on Vihavadi Rangsit Road to receive complaints from the general public.

As part of an overall investigation into gambling sites, police in September last year raided Pol Gen Surachate's house in an operation code-named "Big Cleaning Day".

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... bling-case